Porter Cable to Rotary Questions.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 1JZGTE, Jun 13, 2008.

1. 1JZGTE

1JZGTE New Member

I've been a PC user for 5+ years. Now i'm looking to graduate to Rotary polishers.

What rotary is recommended?
    What pads? polishes?

The PC was easy to use and I might have been a bit sloppy with it. What techniques or habits should i correct/use with a rotary that may have been developed from PC usage?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The machine polishing forum at http://autopia.org has a ton of information but as on overview:

1. Orange cutting pads that work great with the PC leave nasty marring and hazing with a rotary. I only use finishing or polishing foam pads. If I need more cut, I step up to wool.

2. Currently, Meguiars #105 has the most cut of any compound and finishes down better than a lot of medium grade polishes. Short work time though.

3. 3M Ultrafina SE and their blue Ultrafina pad is the best way to finish out hologram free. If you use a heavy compound, you may need to use a polish to take out the more severe holograms before finishing with Ultrafina.

4. It isn't nearly as hard to burn paint as you may have been led to believe, but it can happen if you get careless or are working on very thin paint.

5. Keep the pad flat and finish out at the lowest speed on the rotary to minimize holograms.

6. See #5. Burn that into your brain.

7. Just like the PC, let the machine do the work. Slow, 50% overlapping passes are the way to go.

8. Pick up a fender or two at a wrecking yard to practice on.

With regard to the best rotary, opinions vary. The Dewalt 849 is a beast of a machine (in a good way) but is heavier than most. The Makita is lighter but I hear some rumblings about the durability of the cord.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I personally have used a flex and a DeWalt, and the dewalt is by far my choice. No experience with any other rotary, but I don't really think I need anything else. I love a dewalt.

follow scott's advice above.

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Makita/Dewalt, just decide if you'd rather have Aqua or Yellow.

As far as Makita's cords, I believe it to be they're only weak point. I've had to replace more plug ends than cords and it's a $5/5 minute job if it comes up. This was as a manager of 30+ employees with each individual having a rotary polisher.

5. 1JZGTE

1JZGTE New Member

I've been doing research at autopia.org and there's just way too much info and way to many products to choose from. I can't afford all that just to experiment.

What polish would you use to remove holograms if the 105 leaves some?

What pads do you recommend? Lake country? etc etc? size matters?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you can still keep the machine "flat". You'll just keep using the pad on the main buffing surface vs the edge of the pad. once you get the hang of a rotary, you'll be able to "feather" using the edge of the pad by using less pressure and adjusting the speed of the pad.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#105 with an Meguiars 8006, white foamed wool or Meguiars yellow Solo wool pad, followed by Optimum Polish and a blue or black finishing pad, 3M Ultrafina with a blue Ultrafina pad ought to take out pretty much anything and leave a hologram free finish. You *can* go straight to Ultrafina on harder paints (Audi, Corvette, Mercedes CeramiClear) from #105, but on softer paint and black paint, I'd use Optimum as my middle step. Ultrafina will take out holograms without putting in it's own but not if the holograms are too deep.

8. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

just pulled the trigger on the g110 and $35 worth of that meguiars all in one from autogeeks :sad2:

this purchase has been long overdue and it shows in my car's paint :hs:

9. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

I have learned this as well but I have a hard time keeping them clean.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

You've got one of these, right?
    [​IMG]