Ported or Enclosure?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FcAvalanche04, Mar 24, 2003.

1. I've got 2 12" JL w3 and a JL 500/1 ampl. I've got a enclosure in right now but im thinking about going ported. Any suggestions????

2. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

when you say enclosure, I am assuming that you mean you have a sealed box. sealed,ported,bandpass, etc are all enclosures.

Next, I would say yes go ahead and port it, tune it low for sq and high for spl. when I say low, I mean somewhere like 32-35hz and high is 42-45hz. You will want to make sure you have a subsonic filter and set it to a few hz under your tuning frequency.
    My 12's are in a enclosure tuned to 35hz and I have the subsonic set to about 30.

Also, some people say that when you go ported your sq goes to shit but that is not true.

3. 04

04 Guest

You can't just tune a subwoofer to a specified frequency and call it a "sq" tune or a "spl" tune, it depends on the woofers mechanical and electrical properties.

A good start at building either a spl or sq enclosure is to find its theile small parameters.

4. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

My mistake then, I just thought that generally a lower tune yeilds better sq whereas a higher one is more for spl. I know that is not an absolute or anything, and that every situation/driver is different. like I said I just thought that in general a lower tune is more for sq.

5. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

will my 4 ft^3 fit in your car?

6. I'm not sure :rofl:

7. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

It really all depends on how you like your music. If you like your bass very responsive and don't like the wooshing of a port sealed would be a better choice. Although, a correctly made ported enclosure would not make a wooshing noise.

Ported on the other hand with give you some more SPL theoretically(sp). Also most of the time a ported enclosure will not have as high SQ of a sealed,

correct me if i'm wrong anyone, but this is what i've gathered over the past year.

8. 04

04 Guest

You are partially correct. A ported box can be just as responsive as a sealed one. An incorrectly designed sealed box, with say leaks, could make wooshing sounds too.

A ported enclosure WILL give you more output than a sealed enclosure, unless its designed incorrectly.

A ported enclosure will ususally have just as good sound quality of sealed, but for cars, it is usually a bit easier to get a flatter freqency response out of a sealed box, that is why people so often say that a sealed box is for SQ and ported is for SPL.

9. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

:rolleyes: you know nothing.:squint:

10. 04

04 Guest

:moon:

11. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

a note on a ported JL - don't use the theory that "bigger is better" when porting a JL sub. They have a tendency to sound very well when the port area is small and port length is long. And they still will be quite loud. I can remember a guy from last year who used 2 W7 (and I know that they are very different subs) but I bet he had maybe 30 sqare inches of port per driver and the port depth came within like 3-4 inches of the rear of the box and it sounded very nice and was extremely loud.

12. 04

04 Guest

Um, ok.....

Lets review: A long port that has very little area will have a very low tuning frequency. Which is fine if thats what you are going for, but if the driver has sufficient displacement, you are going to have problems, where the vent becomes so compressed that the enclosure starts acting as if it were sealed.

I don't know about you, but 30 sq inches of port area isnt exactly a small amount of area, and that is probably a good amount to have for a W7.

You are incorrect in saying that bigger is not better. The more port area you have, the less compression you get at high output levels, simple as that. There is a point where you can go overboard, such as having as much area as the SD of the cone.

13. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

um. ok

as I turn around and look at my World Finals Invite letter on the wall behind me I realize I must know absolutely nothing about car audio. Please accept my appology. I did not think that 30 Square inches was considered "big" I have a 26 cube box with about 500 square inches of port area. I thought that maybe that was big but who knows.

And I am not incorrect - you just too quick to tear into me that you did not fully read my reply so I shall type it again for you

{don't use the theory that "bigger is better"} - this would mean that bigger is not better ,right?

Feel free to critisize my spelling

14. 04

04 Guest

I didn't say you knew nothing about car audio, you just made invalid points. :rolleyes:

However, tell me this, why would it benifit the driver to not have a large amount of port area? What gains do you recieve from having a small amount? And why would the driver sound worse in a larger enclosure with more port area?

Another question I have is, why make a generalization about all JL audio subwoofers saying they don't need much port area? Every driver is different.

And you said, the box used 30 square inches per driver, with the port going up to about 4 inches from the back wall, how am I supposed to know how long the box is, to know the tuning? For all I know, it could be tuned to 50hz. You didn't specify the enclosure volume either.

I could care less about your spelling :wiggle:

15. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

uhhh at the time my 18 yr old sister could of gotten to finals if she kept competing.. thats nothing special just means you have a good loud shitty sounding install and you compete alot ;)

16. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

you are an asshole BTW cause if it were that easy to get into the top 15, then why is always the same people doing it. Also then how have I done it twice? has your sister done that?

Oh and I only have 4 amplifiers and the class was SS3-4 where everyone has at least 16 amps. Oh and I do not compete alot - just enought to get the points

"if your sister kept competing"? obviously she got tired of getting her ass handed to her

17. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

umm

:rofl:

"car audio is my life i will die if i dont see who can have the loudest shittiest sounding stereo" :wtc:

HAHAHAHHAHA dude please

my sister has more to do in her life then to compete in spl

NO ONE CARES you have 4 amps and others have 16

18. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

what is funny is I simply gave my opinion on the question being asked based on what I have seen already done. I never came into here and began critisizing you or anyone else here, just was offering what I thought to be valid advice on the subject. and now for some reason this turns into a flame on me!! I did not bring you or your sister in this, you did

"uhhh at the time my 18 yr old sister could of gotten to finals if she kept competing.. thats nothing special just means you have a good loud shitty sounding install and you compete alot "

That is what your first reply to me was. I never did shit to you to even deserve such a remark.

Everyone has more to do in their life than compete in SPL and I am sure that whatever she is doing now, there is someone out there that has more to do in their life also. Do not take this as an attack on your sis, but this is the Car and Home Audio section and I would have thought that the people here would have an interest in it. But I am sure that someone out there has more to do with their life than to play with radios :)

19. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

im going to agree with loudsystem :o :)

20. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

i have no problem with anyone but bragging about competeing and going to finals doesnt mean anything anymore.. Mabye many years ago ya thats cool but not anymore competeing has turned to crap. With a good box and decent set up and a deteremined person finding shows to get points anyone can go to finals... Thats all and because youve gotten invited to finals doesnt make you any smarter.

Sorry

21. STA

STA Guest

E-thug 4 life