Portable GPS units, what to look for?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hua, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

The TomTom ONE 3rd edition is mad cheap at $129. Aside from the larger screen, why would I want to spend >$300 on one?

2. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

more expensive ones announce street names.

That's all I can think of

3. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I've been looking at them too. Sportsmans warehouse is going to have a sale on the Garmin Nuvi 200W for $249, unfortunately it doesn't have alaska maps. So many of them are sold here and don't even work. Costco has some good deals on the Magellan too.
    Look at the reviews on Cnet or gpsreview.net

Some of the more expensive ones have bigger screens, announce directions, work with Bluetooth, play mp3's etc.

Also, where did you find the Tom Tom for that cheap?

4. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Staples has them for $124.99 + a $20 gift card bonus.

If you can't get to Staples, you can also order it from Crutchfield.com for the same deal.

CrutchField.com TomTom ONE 3rd Edition Portable car navigator for $124.99 (List Price: $249.99)
    3.5" color (320 x 240 pixels) touchscreen control / millions of points of interest / 1GB internal flash memory preloaded with maps of the U.S. and Canada / allows custom points of interest / allows user to download celebrity voice prompts from TomTom
    # Click Here and Search# 625ONEIII and add to cart for $224.99 - $100 Instant Off = $124.99 [Check Lowest Price]
    # Available Coupons: $20 off $100 w/Coupon 3A706 (Ends 12/31), Get a $25 gift card w/Purchase of $150+ Order w/Coupon 3A252 (Ends 12/31)

5. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I look at the layout. I'm on my 2nd GPS Nav system. First I had an Alpine Blackbird and absolutely LOVED the layout. It was simple, easy to read and displayed a lot of information. Now I have a Garmin Streetpilot C340. I still like the Alpine better, but the Garmin is definitely good.

6. Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Dr. Mantis Toboggan New Member

Because the more expensive ones can speak in celebrity voices? :bigthumb:

7. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member

tom tom one 3rd can do homer's voice :mamoru:

8. ///M

///M New Member

All I know is they're mad cheap compared to last year. Last year all you could get under $200 was a Mio c310x (which I have, it's not bad but not great)

9. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

Just got a Navigon 2100. First GPS and love it so far. Text to speech and lifetime traffic are a couple of highlights. Besides, at $140 (99 on bf) with lifetime traffic included, its not a bad deal.

Also, the more expensive they are, in general, the more they do. Most high end ones have bluetooth, play mp3s - although I'm still not sure why, have fm transmitter, traffic capable, text to speech, 6-12m poi, etc.

10. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

garmin > *

best in the business.

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

The Tomtom has celebrity voices too... I got a folder full of them on my laptop.

I bought a Tomtom One on black friday and love it. Good price for an entry level GPS and it hasn't let me down yet. I've been to a few places where I totally relied on it to get me there and it did without any issues.

It doesn't actually say the street names though, but it's simple enough to glance at the screen for the street name.