Porsche daily driver.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by nollid51, Oct 24, 2007.

1. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

Hi I'm rather new here, been lurking for around a month. Yes I realize i don't have an av.

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting what would basically be my second car. Currently drive a 13 year old mini van :rofl:. What I'm looking for is something cool to look at and fun to drive. After watching an episode of top gear that air a while ago, which the drove "1500 quid" Porsches, they seemed to show that the Porsche 944 was a good buy. I am somewhat interested to hear what you guys say about the Porsche 944. It seemed to be the most reliable(according to top gear), and the 4 cylinder seems like a good balance of power and economy. These cars seem to go around 5,000 on ebay, so they seem cheap. Are there any other better Porsches that won't be maintenance nightmares in this price range (5000~9000)? I thought that there was another 4 cylinder Porsche with the body of the 911 around the early 1980s, the 912E, if I'm right what would that go for, and would it be a good choice as opposed to the 944?

2. aquabat911sc

aquabat911sc New Member

First, the last year of the 912 was a 1976, it was the 912E and had a 2-liter fuel injected flat four out of the 914. It would be a nice car to own, but probably hard to find one in nice condition at a decent price.

The 944 is definitely the way to go if your looking for a "budget" Porsche. The 944S is going to be the best bet, being the more modern car and having the 16 valve head. Nice examples can definitely be found for around 6 or 7 grand. Look for cars with a complete history, you are better off buying a higher mileage car that has been maintained than lower mileage and neglected. If you can swing the extra cost, the 944 turbo is a great car, especially for the money. Very upgradable and fairly fast right out of the box. The biggest expenses on these cars are timing belts and clutches. Find some local Porsche shops and talk to them about what most owners spend on annual maintenance. You can also try joining the PCA, they can not only help you find a car, but also a great resource for finding out what it's really like to own one. Good luck

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

I daily drive a 968.

It's a more reliable car than the 944... is the last evolution of the 944 line. A bit less expensive to maintain(stuff like clutch changes/belt changes are cheaper, etc).

Budget $2k annually to spend on the car, between maintenance/consumables/tires/etc and be happy if you spend less... assuming the car you get is in good shape to start with.

The main rule of thumb with porsches is this... they're extremely reliable, if the preventative maintenance is done. Don't maintain them, and they get very expensive, very fast.

4. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

2k/yr on an older porsche ain't too shabby
    as a rule don't get a non-mechanically mint 928, i think parts for teh v8 are rediculous.

5. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

While 2k a year isn't bad, its still more than I expected. What runs up the cost so high? I guess having a japenese car the only thing ive had to do is change th oil....but I'm willing to learn how to do repairs myself. Love to tinker. I am leaning more towards the 912E because of looks, and I've seen some going for about 5 grand. Basically a super cheap 911. What costs so much that you need 2k a year? Is it clutches or carborators or what?

6. saxman

it'll definitely be cheaper if you're doing work yourself.

Porsche mechanics charge out the ass for stuff. Lots of parts cost more because of the porsche name.

For example, I'm about to buy a new o2 sensor for my 968. The 968 specific part is ~$250. The "universal" part listed for the car is $150. The EXACT same part, when listed as a "universal" part for another car is ~$35.

All the same sensor, just packaged differently.

7. MVIOU5

MVIOU5 OT Supporter

Just don't cheap out and buy the cheapest 944 you can find. That is a horribly wrong move. Buy a nice example with service records and you should be fine.

If you even care about going fast, buy the turbo and don't mess around with the base 944, or even s2 for that matter. After market is very expensive for these cars.

Dont forget to change the timing belt every 30k, its an interference engine! Check out rennlist.com forums if you want to read up on all the nitty gritty.

8. saxman

I really need to do the belts and such on my car... it's coming up on 30k miles since they were last done :(

968 timing belt tensioner ftw though... none of the bullshit you have to deal with on the earlier motors... only have to tension the balance belt.

9. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

Get an S2 or a 951. Even if you can't afford it.

10. MVIOU5

MVIOU5 OT Supporter

Spring tensioner isnt bad either. I hated using that stupid cricket tool on the ecentric tensioner roller though, that was such a bitch.

11. A4Tuurbo

A4Tuurbo Audi Crew::DSLR Crew::Indie Crew::Mac Crew::Guitar

I was actually in the market for a 944 recently but I cant seem to find one that is reasonably priced for the mileage.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Personally, I used to be in the market for either a 944S2 or 951, but I eventually decided that the cost of the maintenance would be a killer, so I'm picking up a 240Z instead. :hsd:

I do love how the 944 looks though.

13. saxman

not having to worry about the tension on the timing belt is a wonderful thing though.