Porsche Carrera GT most successful Super-Car of all times

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FredBull, Aug 28, 2005.

1. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
  2. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

:ugh: you realize they are selling for below dealer cost brand new(400,000), the MSRP=440,000, and you can get them for 390,000 if you look hard enough

3. Louis M

Louis M New Member

well they know they're going to make a lot back for repairs!

4. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

are you retarded?...like 400k isn't a lot of money...or like that doesn't cover hte cost of the car...trust me it costs 10s of thousands to build that car not hundreds...and whats bad about them selling for 50k cheaper...just better for the rest of us...you think u have to spend more to get a better car???

5. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

:hsugh:

:gtfo:

6. bemder

bemder New Member

ferrari enzo is better..:big grin::big grin::big grin:

7. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

200 are NOT on the way. Due to wonderful government regulations designed to keep us safe from ourselves, the Carrera GT's airbags aren't good enough anymore. Porsche doesn't see the point in making new 'bags and crashing more CGTs to make them happy, so no go on the next 200.

8. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

are you serious? you dont think it cost a lot to build it? you are a fucking idiot. the car cost the dealer 400,000 to purchase from porsche, it probably cost 370,000-380,000 for porsche to build including costs of R&D and such. :gtfo:

EDIT: go sit in one and tell me it doesnt cost that much to build

9. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Last I saw they were still going for well above MSRP. Where can you pick one up for 390?

10. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

there is a thread on 6speedonline about prices at dealerships, when we were looking at buying one I got a hold of the dealers with at least 10 different ones going for 400,000 or less. when dealers first get them they are asking MSRP, but after they sit for a while they are more eager to just get rid of them (although I am sure a lot of people who don't read the forums and know that they can be had for less then MSRP are willing to pay more because thats what they believe they are all selling for)

11. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Interesting. Every one I've seen at my local dealership had a pretty significant "ADM" sticker on it. Not sure what they actually sold for though. Bit out of my price range, so I never paid to much attention, no sense tempting myself.

12. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

please post some sources

13. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

do you think dealers pay retail prices for carbon fiber? it also doesnt cost $15,000 for a set of ceramic brakes, nor do the wheels cost $5,000 a piece to make.

when you make a lot of one thing, production costs go waaaayyy down

14. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Porsche built far more than the demand. Hell, my local dealership has two sitting on the lot that they cannot sell.

15. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

the CGT cost the dealers $400,000 to purchase from porsche, and MSRP is $440,000

16. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

:werd: no one seems to get this

17. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

please post your source. dealers would not sell a car worth that much, if they were only making 10% on selling it.

18. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

thank you...someone agrees...people are retarded...they think this car costs 399k dollars to build...then they sell for 400k...it doesn't make sense...so i'm guessin you think it costs 70k to build a viper...cuz the car costs 75k?...the car is made of freakin fiberglass and metal...

if you've never been in business or seen how people make money then you have no idea...there are things called profit percentiles...it shows how much profit per item you get when you sell something...like soda...u don't have to profit a lot cuz people are always gonna buy it...so even if the profit isn't huge u'd want to have it cuz its a consistent seller...unlike say prune juice...you don't need that cuz u know a lot of people won't buy it...so the only way its worth selling is if your still making good money in the end...so you need to make more profit per item in order to make it worth keeping

so now puttin that into a car scenario...porsche already has 2 solid cars that sell in good numbers...on the other hand the cgt...won't hit those kinds of numbers...BUT they sell it for more so in the end they make as much if not more then they would on a 911/boxster...you can't tell me you think it costs 300+ to build that car??...u know how much a good CF hood goes for?...yah 500 bucks...trust me porsches hood doesn't cost much more then that to produce...but they can sell it for more...cuz they are porsche

19. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

There is also this little thing called development costs?

Yes in pure material terms it might cost Porsche a lot less than the retail price to produce the Carrera GT. However they have to offset the huge cost of financing the development, production, testing etc of it.

So this whole argument about the fact it doesn't cost that price to build, is just pointless.

20. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

But if it costs a whole lot less then what they are saying to build...then the amount of money left over going between how much it costs to make, and how much they sell it to dealers for...goes up. I'm sure they spent a ton of money on designing the car, but if you spread that amount over the 1000 CGTs they have built...the numbers start to make sense.

21. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

:greddy:

You sound like a blubbering idiot. What is a profit percentile? Its called a profit MARGIN. Go spew your so called "business" sense somewhere else.

What do you think a cgt costs porsche to make? You have no fucking clue. You think all businesses are profitable and these super car manufacturers make a shitload of money because they charge so much? Think about this Aston Martin posted a profit for the first time in 40 years last year.

Secondly, porsches' net profit before taxes was 17% of revenues(they are the most profitable manufacturer in the autoworld because they have the highest margins and they are able to maintain these margins). Generally these profit margins are consistant across similar business segments within an individual business. So be generous and give them a 25% margin on the cgt (which is very unlikely and untrue but for the sake of this argument) that means that for msrp of 400k it costs porsche 300k to make. You are a ignorant tool.

[​IMG]

22. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

I never said it cost 400,000 to build, 400,000 is what dealers are paying for it when they buy the car from porsche. I don't have the source, it was on 6speedonline in a thread. and there is no such thing as profit percentiles you retard, maybe you are thinking about profit margins or something

23. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

yeah, it seems like we can't give ours away at our store :(

24. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

its too impractical, porsche really botched it by not putting an air suspension/lift on the front of the car, that was the point that turned my dad off from buying it:wtc:

25. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste