Porsche 997 Mini review.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cachee0, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Well went to visit a friend that works as a sales person at a Porsche dealer not far from my house. I pull up to the dealer right next to a Brand new 997 Carrera S 2005. Black with Black int. I did not even think they were in production yet let alone seeing it in the flesh. It’s absolutely stunning. 959 Front end with the roof line and the back end of the 996. They are all wide body as per my friend. No more narrow Carreras. This car had the brake option with very nice two peace rotors. Also very large 6pot calipers. The interior was much improved over the 996. Leather covering most of the dash and the seats are awesome with very high quality leather. It’s quite at start up I was hoping for it to be louder and revs freely. Transmission is very VW feeling loose and spongy. Not direct like a BMW, Lancer EVO or STI. My friend claimed it has the same performance numbers of the current GT3. I did not get to drive it because I did not want to put my friend on the spot and get him in trouble with his manager and to tell you the truth I could afford to buy this car but I can’t see it worth the 90K price tag. For 90K I would expect not to see any cheap plastic inside the car. If you look at the Vent/temp controls they used the same cheap dials as the SUV.

In sort love the way it looks and love the driving position. But bottom line is for 90k it’s not any ware near a performance steal and with cheap interior peaces it’s a turn off and very disappointing. I can now understand why Porsche makes close to 50% profit per car. I currently own a Lancer Evo 8 and don’t have a great interior but hell I only paid 35% of the price of the Porsche including mods. So I’m not going to be upgrading to the Porsche. Kind off pissed off because I love the way it looks and was planning of getting one but now I completely turned off.

Damit Porsche AG. So close but still no cigar.

IMHO

2. F1fan

F1fan Guest

It is unknown at this time whether or not the new 997 will have a narrow/wide body or whether it will just come in one size. It should become evident when the turbo version of the 997 is released as 2006 model.

How can you say the transmission is “very VW feeling loose and spongy” but admit that you didn’t drive the car? The precision of the throws and the “tightness” of a transmission can not be experienced while sitting in car without driving it.

As for a performance steal…new Porsches have not been about performance steals for a long time. They have always been on the high end of the scale. However, traditionally they have been very durable cars that their owners could drive off the show room floor take it to the track, drive sh*t out of it and then drive it home with no, modifications, brake bleeding, warped rotors, blown turbos, over heating problems etc. In this sense they are still relatively good deals. The model you were looking at has a base price of about $79k, while the base 997 (non S) has a base price of $69k. Performance wise in the always important 0-60 test (read sarcasm), the extra $10k gets you .2 seconds. Option wise the $10k gets you a 3.8 vs. 3.6, 30hp, 19” wheels, full leather interior and PASM (with is Porsche active electronically controlled adjustable suspension), bigger breaks from the turbo a couple of other things all standard.

Haven driven the 997 (non S) and currently owning a 996 I will say the 997 is an improvement. The chassis is stiffer and the suspension tighter and lower than the standard US suspension on the 996 and the grip and handling are improved with a much more confidence inspired “planted” feel vs the standard US suspension on the 996. Styling is subjective but I like the styling of the exterior better and some of the interior styling better (too many buttons up by the screen on the 997 though…doesn’t look like what a sports car should…reminds me of a MB dash). The base 997 engine is very similar to the power output of the base MY02+ 996 cars. Aerodynamics are improved on the 997 with less drag and less lift and better cooling.

3. BrassPremier

BrassPremier New Member

funny. i just drove the car today couple hours ago. pretty sweet car. here are some pics i took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they had a black carrera S there too with the $8000 ceramic brake option. that thing was sweet

4. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

So pretty.

5. $entenza

$entenza Saudade, Beco.

Bangkok, Thailand - Lausanne, Switzerland
    Very Puuurty.. Why do AMerican Porsche's all have the Duck Tail Dimple thingy's in the back?

6. Cachee0

BTW got to drive the S a few days ago and the tranny is still Spongy like a VW witch is not a bad thing but not to my personal liking. Good TQ handles very well and brakes are awsome. All in All my 90K will be going to a used Mondna over a 997

7. F1fan

F1fan Guest

A 360 Modena for $90K? How many miles? You can find some 355's in that price range but not a 360 right now (even the late model 355's are above $90k). Now when the 430 comes out the 360 will drop in price but it will be a while before you find nice low mileage 360's at the $90k mark. Not to mention it is not the price of admission that what makes a Ferrari expensive, it is the maintenance cost. Granted the 360 is much more service friendly than the 355 but it is still not inexpensive by any means. Especially compared to the maintenance cost of the Porsche. The Ferrari is an awesome car...no debate from me there, however, it is not a bang for you buck car either (even used).

I'm curious did the 997S you drove have the PCCB or the turbo brakes?

8. Cachee0

Yes it did have the PCCB two part rotors with I think 6pots. I know a few people that work at a Ferrari dealer ships so I can get on with low miles for about 90K and maintenance is not a big deal because most of I can do my self and the rest my bodies will take care of me. Hell everything done to my EVO expect the clutch was done by me. IE CAMS, GEARS, TURBO KIT so on.

The only problem with the 360 is that it's a toy were the 997 is a great all around GT. It's tough to get rid of my EVO fo a 997.

9. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Two words - build quality.

Over 70% of all Porsches every built are still regestered. Which means not scraped. Try making that claim with Mitsubushi, Subaru, Chevy, Ferrari (mabey), and BMW.

10. Cachee0

good point but BMW is up there as well and also BMW are driven more offten witch would make them very hi milage cars compared to pampard Porsches.

IMHO