porsche 944 info?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dexteh, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

Hey, im sort of considering getting one. my friend's mum has an '86, which i drove (she wouldnt let me go over the speed limit though. shame.) and absolutely loved. so i want to find out what kind of price range i'll find a base 944 at ('85-'89 or so) or even the S or 951. those are probably well out of my range. also, if any of you own one, what kindsa of problems and maintenance expenses can i expect to shell out if i get my hands on one? thanks!

2. Audiophile

Audiophile boom boom

the N/A 944 is powered with ~150HP i think. I dunno about the motor displacement or torque numbers though. my friend has a n/a and it's a real nice car. although if i were to spend the money i would get the turbo. the turbo runs like a 14 sec 1/4 mile and has around 180HP I THINK.

nice cars :bigthumb:

3. zlatic

zlatic New Member

my dad had a 89 944s, he said it was 183, and pretty quick. so a turbo would run u about 10k with decent miles. im considering one for myself, nice ass car. classic

4. zlatic

zlatic New Member

oh yea and the turbos def have like 240 hp, not 180

5. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

fast, not really too pretty, but id take one in ahearttbeat, i was looking at one for a first car a few years ago...ins is kinda high.

6. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

yep, this would be as a first car pretty much (ive had an older camry for a few months) or a project car. yeah the turbos are nicer, but pricier. base is 2.5L or 2.7L i-4 i think, depending on the year.

i'd not expect to really be driving this car to the limit, so probably go with the base model. Zlatic, your dad have any problems with his car, have to replace lots of stuff or anything?

7. zlatic

zlatic New Member

no he loved it and his was only a 944s so no turbo problems or whatever

8. daft punk

daft punk New Member

ton of upkeep, expensive parts, and hard to work on

9. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

aufrecht, care to elaborate? yeah porsche (or any Euro parts) are expensive around here, working on it would be ok. itd be a project car, and i know some stuff :big grin:

10. Volkl

Volkl New Member

My neighbor has an '85 n/a. It is a sharp car, it isn't too quick, but it is still fun to drive. The parts availablity on these cars in the states is pretty bad, most parts have to come from Germany, read more expensive. The turbo/s model is much more desirable, as it has better performance, obviously. Timing belts and water pumps are their weaknesses, and a bitch to get at. If you really want one, get a 1985.5 or newer. Halfway through the '85 production, they updated the interior that was shared with the 911 at the time. I'd buy one if I had the means, to have as a toy on the side. Hell, it is a Porsche.

11. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

yeah thats pretty much my motivation. it may be expensive, but if i can scrounge i can get one. or guilt my dad into getting one as a father/son project car... mwahahaha

also: how do these do in the winter? i assume handling will be fine with studded tyres, but i live in a very winter-y area, so will they rust thru if i drive it a lot during winter/spring season?

12. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I'm from Chicago, and the only ones I know of are stored over the winters... :dunno:

13. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I know a guy up here with two of them... One's an '89 944S and the other is a '90 944 Turbo (if I recall correctly). He doesn't drive them in the winter.

14. F1fan

F1fan Guest

The turbo’s have unbelievable power and speed potential and can be silent killers with the right modifications (300 rwhp is relatively easy and inexpensively obtained with much more beyond that available). The NA do not have cost effective modification for power. Unmodified the NA cars are better for around town driving because of the more low end torque and no turbo lag (the 951 can be modified to get rid of some of the lag). All require the timing belts and water pumps to be replaced regularly (approximately every 30k miles to be safe) and periodic tensioning of the belt (this can be done rather easily by a diyer). A-arms can also need replacement (especially on lowered cars), however recently a couple of after market suppliers have come out with serviceable bushing for them. All the 944 cars handle superbly with great balance.

Cost wise the NA cars are cheaper than the turbo. A good pre-purchase inspection is a must with any of these cars because a neglected car can quickly accumulate thousands of dollars worth of repairs and maintenance just to bring up to factory spec. Records of past maintenance is strongly suggested as it shows how the car was treated.

You could also consider the 944S2. It is a NA car with approximately the same 0-60 and ¼ mile times as a stock turbo with a lot more torque down low compared to the turbo (3.0 liter I think vs. a 2.5 liter in the 944 and 951). Approximately the same cost as a turbo but without the less expensive modifications available.

Out fitted with proper tires the NA cars are quite capable in the snow, however the Turbo can be handful when boost hits. Nice examples of these cars are starting to become rare and most owners do not drive them in the winter (especially the turbos).

15. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, if i got my hands on one i wouldnt drive it a lot in the winter... but i dont know where i'd get money to buy said porsche without trading in my current car, which = no winter transport. :(

16. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's a dilemma for sure. I guess that's why most of the people with Porsches (even older, less expensive Porsches) also have a lot of money ;)

17. F1fan

F1fan Guest

When I bought my first Porsche I also bought a $400 dollar car (an ugly POS) to drive in the winter. I kept the POS for many years because: (1) it saved on wear and tear of the babied car and (2) it allowed me to list the Porsche as a recreational vehicle and not the primary driver and I saved big $$$ on insurance cost. I actually drove the piece of crap alot of the time but I knew that I had a car I really wanted in my garage that I "could" drive if I wanted to.

18. Dexteh

Dexteh Guest

good call. my camry = stay :big grin:

if i was main driver on porsche, the insurance would skyrocket like hell anyways, so i like your plan a lot. thanks!