LGBT Pope: Gay Marriage 'Pseudo Matrimony'

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOVAJock, Jun 7, 2005.

1. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Pope: Gay Marriage 'Pseudo Matrimony'
    by Malcolm Thornberry 365Gay.com European Bureau Chief

Posted: June 6, 2005 5:00 pm ET

(Vatican City) Pope Benedict XVI has made his first public statement on same-sex marriage since his election - a stinging condemnation of gay and lesbian families.

Repeatedly driving home his point that marriage can only be a union between man and woman, the Pope called same-sex unions "pseudo-matrimony".

He made the remarks in an address to a conference of the Diocese of Rome on the role of the family held at St. John Lateran basilica.

"The various forms of the dissolution of matrimony today, like free unions, trial marriages and going up to pseudo-matrimonies by people of the same sex, are rather expressions of an anarchic freedom that wrongly passes for true freedom of man," he said.

Although was his first public comment on same-sex marriage since becoming Pope, Benedict has long history of attacking same-sex unions.

As Cardinal Ratzinger he was the Vatican's most outspoken opponent of gay marriage.

Ratzinger was the author of the a 2003 Vatican directive to priests around the world calling for a proactive stand to stop governments from legalizing same-sex marriage and for a repeal of those those already on the books that give rights, including adoption, to gay couples. (story)

The 12 page document called on Catholic bishops and lawmakers to oppose the legalization of same-sex unions.

Ratzinger opposes contraception and the use of condoms to combat HIV/AIDS. He advocates a diminished role for women in the Church and has called for mandatory celibacy for priests.

In 1999 he ordered two Americans, Sister Jeannine Gramick and Father Robert Nugent, to end their associated with New Ways Ministry which provides educational programs for gay and lesbian Catholics nationwide.

2. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

one step forward.....two steps back :rolleyes:

3. sholnay

sholnay New Member

4. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...I remember sitting in my private catholic high school, and being handed my own personal copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church. I immediately opened it, reading the introduction (by Ratzinger, who led the committee that wrote the book) explaining the purpose of this book--whose sheer size rivaled the combined books of the Bible. So after reading about how this guide was necessary due to divergent practices in the many churches... And about how we had to know what 'God wants of us', and so here was the guide.

Being the closeted cocksucker that I was at the time, I checked the glossary and found homosexuality, and how basically I was born a sinner, but it isn't my fault and therefore as long as I do not indulge in my pervasive lusts, living an abstain life, God will love me the sinner, hating only the sin. I remember thinking to hell with that, and to hell with this Ratzinger person.

...who knew he would one day become the Pope?

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Luckily, many Catholics are as disenchanted with the Catholic church as some non-Catholics.

Besides, the pope is an old man who was brought up in an indoctrinated setting. What did you expect? I doubt the Catholic church will accept same-sex unions (of any type...meaning civil union or marriage or whatever) for quite some time.

Hopefully we can stick to the 1st amendment and keep church out of government.