LGBT Pope cites 'urgent' need to avoid confusion over gay unions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOVAJock, May 12, 2006.

1. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Pope cites 'urgent' need to avoid confusion over gay unions

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope Benedict XVI said Thursday there was an "urgent" need to avoid confusion over gay unions and other common-law partnerships, and stressed that only marriage between men and women could be the basis for a healthy society.

Benedict also said the 1968 encyclical "Humanae Vitae," which defined the church's opposition to artificial birth control, remains relevant today. He said the physical differences between men and women were not just biological happenstance, but had a far more profound significance _ that of coming together to create new life.

The pope spoke to members of the Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and Family, an institute founded by the late pope to promote church teachings on the sanctity of marriage and family.

During an audience to mark the institute's 25th anniversary, Benedict called love and marriage between man and woman an "authentic good for society."

"There is a special urgency today to avoid confusion with other types of unions based on a weak love," he said. "Only the rock of total and irrevocable love between a man and woman is able to build a society that is home to all men."

He did not specify gay unions in his remarks, but Benedict has frequently spoken out about the need to preserve the sanctity of marriage and has condemned same-sex unions as anarchic "pseudo-matrimony."

When he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the pope also spearheaded a 2003 Vatican campaign against same-sex unions, issuing guidelines for Catholic politicians to oppose laws granting legal rights to gay couples.

2. NOVAJock

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Pope Benedict for reinforcing my belief that the Catholic church is hypocritical, a farce, and an institution with as much sin and blood on their hands due to their historical track record (....cough....Crusades....cough....) , as they believe the homosexual community has on their's.

Last but not least, thank you your "excellency" (and I use the term sarcastically), for continuing to strengthen my distaste for organized religion, especially Catholicism.

Way to go!:rolleyes:

3. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Mapleleaf told me recently that there is a belief in the ecumenical world that Pope Benedict may himself be a pillow-biter.

4. NOVAJock

<slaps face in shock>

Well you know what they say, usually the ones that are most vocally against, tend to take it like a champ. :hsugh:

5. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

Yes indeed I was told that by someone I know who use to work with Ratzinger at the Vatican. In fact I have also been told that Ratzy is a nice guy and far more liberal than he comes across... the positions he states are RCC opinions as he has to follow the doctrine; they are not necessarily his own.

note to Sam: my name is MapleLeaf not Mapleleaf :cool:

6. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...okay, so I'm not the only one bothered by people not capitalizing parts of my name. How refreshing.

7. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Everyone calls me Sam Gagmee...

So, I know the feeling of people misspelling usernames..

8. NOVAJock

....picky queens....

9. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf New Member

That's probably because most people have the impression of you gaging on someone's cock. :x:

:rofl: