POP3 email question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crossfaded, May 7, 2003.

1. crossfaded

crossfaded Guest

I was wondering if there is anyway to get a pop3 mail acct setup, but one where you can check it online at any location? I know you can do that technically with outlook express.. but you can't view the old emails at another location. Like with hotmail... you can login on any computer and see old mails, etc. (i something similar, where i can respond to emails, and it will [email protected]).

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i don't know of any public sites that offer these kinds of services, but if you want to run your own, the IMP project is pretty nice

http://www.horde.org/imp/

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

My ISP allows you to do this but there is a set amount of mailbox space. In fact in the POP3 client settings, you can determine how many days you would like to leave the mail on the server. So for example, if you want to check your mail on the weekend at home, you set the mail up so the mail does not get deleted when you retrieve it. You can read it, reply to it from your home computer, and when you come in to work on Monday, you will again download the message and only then does the message get erased (this is assuming you delete at work, and not at home). The down side is of course that your reply is only at home. So, to answer your question, you really can't do it properly unless you set it up much like hotmail (web access, web reply, web everything), and only use the web interface.

The other method of course is accessing your work computer at home and simply working off of it via PCANywhere, terminal Services, Remote Dekstop and the like. I kind of like this solution since it doesn't require any of the finicky settings the others do.

4. kazamobah

kazamobah Guest

There is a "leave a copy of messages on server" option in outlook express. I think that will do what you want.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

6. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

if i'm not mistaken, i believe there's a "leave a copy of messages on server" option in outlook express. maybe that's what you're looking for.

( :fawk: to 5Gen )

7. 5Gen_Prelude

8. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i believe you can check pop3 from yahoo. im not sure if it downloads it from your server or leaves it there while you check it.

9. kazamobah

kazamobah Guest

Also you can try connecting to your work computer from home with software such as PCanywhere, remote desktop, etc.

10. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Wouldn't an IMAP server fix all this?