pop-ups

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pop, May 5, 2005.

1. pop

pop New Member

OTers....any suggestions for a simple but good pop up blocker that can be downloaded for free?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

service pack 2...

If you're not running it, then [insert deragatory comment here]

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

firefox.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Yep.

5. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Firefox is not a solution for popups, post SP2 i've had 0 popups under IE compared to a dozen or so under Firefox.

6. turi

turi Guest

Firefox has been having popup-blocking issues recently. I'm told it's an issue with Macromedia Flash's way of opening new windows. I bet they'll solve that soon if they haven't already. There's also some talk about tighter integration between Firefox and Flash to solve some privacy issues.

However, when it comes to the plugin security, IE is the black sheep. For all kinds of reasons, you'll definately be better off with Firefox.

7. Goonigoogoo

I use both for now, the dta and unlinker on FF are pretty useful, ill wait and see if IE7.0 will have em, if they do then i will kiss FF goodbye and uninstall it.

Security issues are present in all browsers, IE's are more apparent because more people use IE, i think its at 85% of all internet browsers now, the top dog will always get picked on, that's the wawy it always is.

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Flashblock extension for Firefox. It puts a Play button on any Flash objects so you can view them if you want to, otherwise they can fuck off. I've been using it since the beginning of time. I guess if you frequent a lot of flash-intensive sites it would suck, but I have no problems.

9. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

That's such a busted argument.

10. Goonigoogoo

How so? If FF is so perfect why have they released critical patches in the last 6 months?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

hardly. Firefox is a piece of slow, bloated, ugly, shit.

12. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

First of all, that doesn't have anything to do with more people developing security threats for IE than Firefox due to its popularity.

Second, Firefox isn't any of those things. However, since we all know you never admit you're wrong - I won't argue it. The point I was making was about the argument, not the software in question.

Please, tell me that there are more exploits and vulnerabilities in Windows than there are in Net or FreeBSD just because more people use Windows. :mamoru:

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Interesting how you don't mention linux :mamoru:

14. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

No one said it was perfect, just that it is better than IE, if only because it's not as integrated with the OS.

15. Goonigoogoo

I agree slightly with this comment but you have to understand that most PC users are not like us, they want ease of use, they want to order their machines from <insert retailer here> and have access to the internet ASAP, they want a functionning machine off the bat. It's not complicated for us to download another browser, but most people do not know how to do it or where to start, and most don't wanna know, they just want to surf the net.

Same goes for WMP, i don't know why people bitched about it being integrated into Windows, why the hell wouldn't people want it, compared to RealPlayer and Quicktime its like the difference between the stone age and information age. RP and Quicktime don't even come close to what WMP can do, granted WMP9 is better than 10 :o

And if they actually cut WMP from windows in the future on all Windows OS' that will be the first thing i download, short of the updates.

16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It is truly amazing how anytime someone posts an Interent/browser/pop-up related problem the first thing anyone says is to switch to Fire Fox... Give me a break already :rolleyes:

And like said above, if you are using XP ans SP2 you are fine against pop-ups.

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

There is a version of XP you can buy that doesn't have WMP in it, microsoft was sued for some reason, about having WMP on their computers. Bullshit lawsuite, but hey.

18. Goonigoogoo

Agreed, the western world thrives on capitalism but shuns a company when they do too well.

19. turi

turi Guest

I have to add that I prefer any version of good old winamp to WMP.