Pontiac will drop the GTO this year

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 9volt, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

[​IMG]

Pontiac will drop the GTO this year

Jamie LaReau
    Automotive News / February 21, 2006 - 10:08 am

DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

A Pontiac spokesman confirms the GTO will be discontinued after the 2006 model year.

“There are some changes in the federal regulatory standards. One is an airbag deployment standard that would require some very expensive re-engineering of the car,” says Jim Hopson, Pontiac spokesman. “Since the architecture of this car is being phased out around the world it’s not economically feasible to continue this car.”

Pontiac will continue to build the GTO through the end of May, Hopson says. The last “boatload will hit the ground in June”, he adds.

The GTO first came to dealerships in December 2003 as a 2004 model, Hopson says.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source.

There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

Pontiac is considering a replacement in the lineup for a RWD performance vehicle, but does not have anything to announce yet, Hopson says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

definately had bland styling, i dont know what pontiac was thinking

3. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

Once it returns on the Zeta platform for 2008 everyone will be happier, espeically if the styling is paid attention to, like the Camaro. Give the people what they want, right?

4. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

would it be the 2nd or 3rd time for the camaro?

5. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

that awesome.. i hated that car.. was a disgrace to the orginal

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to 2002 when it was announced numerous times it would be a three year run.

Also, :repost:

7. thedguy

thedguy New Member

Yay! Old news! Nice to see the stretched RWD cavalier is done with. Should have been called a Chevy Lumina, not a GTO.

8. killaGTP

killaGTP Holden poser Moderator

it is over seas, mostly the middle east.

9. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

10. TriShield

Ahhahahaahahaa

11. American SuperBeast

American SuperBeast New Member

Dumbass second

12. blink

blink New Member

In the older classic models the GTO styling was based off of some of their other models, Tempest & LeMans, but I think Pontiac could have done alot better with it instead of making it look like a grand prix. Oh well

:bowdown: [​IMG]

13. flyguy

flyguy Guest

buy an av you fag

14. TriShield

That's what they were, just as my GN is a Regal. The current GTO is a Monaro.

[​IMG]

And I like it that way. :bowdown:

15. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I like how they coped out by saying "extensive airbag regulations that would require re-engineering the entire vehicle".

Translation = We fucked up the styling and dropped the ball.

Amazingly, I wouldn't be surprised if dealerships started jacking up the prices on them because, "didn't you hear, their going to stop making these rare, rare cars."

16. Fareo

Fareo New Member

ya becasue that was the first time they did that :rolleyes: ..

1966 GTO
    [​IMG]

1966 Grand Prix
    [​IMG]

1966 Boneville
    [​IMG]

1966 Ventrua
    [​IMG]

you guys talk trash like you know what your saying, like your some kinda Pontiac enthisist and think that magicly the GTO was a one of a kind??

you do realize that all of the major muscle cars are just gorcery getters with a different badge and the biggest engine they could find? thats what a muscle car is.. :o

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  17. Fareo

Fareo New Member

my car is nothing more then a 2 door fastback coronet.. :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. blink

blink New Member

Thats exactly what I was saying in response to people who said that the new gto looked like other similar pontiac cars and I was saying that they in the modern gto, pontiac could have done better if they made it retro style, having the look of the old car. When did I say in my post that the gto was one of a kind? In fact that was exactly what I was saying was not the case. Man you must be a pontiac "enthisist" with that post..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  19. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

:ugh2:

20. Fareo

Fareo New Member

no im just tired of the GTO getting knocked for being a modern muscle car and not a retro-rehash. it follows suit with design, its faster, it handles better, it has more gears, its gets better fuel econ then the orginal..? y do you guys knock such a well made car. the GTO isnt a retro-rehash its the next model in the line as if pontiac never stopped making it.

sure it has bland styling? but all the muscle cars did, they just dont look that way now becasue cars look different now. when you put the pontiac line up next to each other from 1966 you see that the GTO is nothing more then what it is now, just another grand prix looking car with a big engine, only we look back at the GTO and remember it and forget about the Grand Prix becasue it wasnt the "performance car". which is the same that we will do with the current gto.

i made this alil while back to prove a point..

[​IMG]

21. TriShield

You are amazingly uninformed. :ugh:

The car was only going to be made three years and scheduled to be discontinued now because the chassis is being stopped in Australia. It really doesn't meet those regulations just like the Ford GT.

22. TriShield

You're exactly right, the originals (sans the Judge) looked just like the rest of Pontiac's cars. When the Monaro was going to be our GTO in 2002 I made the same comment, that it already looked like a Pontiac only better because it was lacking the silly body cladding, striped lenses, and ultra-cheap interior.

www.autoextremist.com The GTO will be be discontinued at the end of this model year, with the last deliveries arriving at dealers by the end of September. The reasons behind the GTO's demise are many, but ultimately it came down to the fact that the architecture that the car is based on (from GM's Holden division in Australia) is going out of production in preparation for the company's newly revised ZETA RWD program. The GTO was one of the first things that Bob Lutz did to jump-start the Pontiac Division when he came on board at GM. Even though the plan was well-intentioned, the GTO suffered from unfair comparisons to the original GTO (not that any of the hard-core GTO enthusiasts could actually define what a modern GTO should look like), among other things, but the biggest problem for the car from our perspective was that it just cost too much money. If GM could have brought the car in for the mid-$20,000 range at intro, it would have taken off, big time. We made no bones about the fact that we loved the GTO, and the plain looks of the car never bothered us. After all, the original was a Pontiac Tempest with dog-dish hub caps and a couple of fake scoops in the hood, about as bland of a car as you could get back then. But the proof of the original was in the performance, just like the current GTO, which, if you haven't driven one you're missing out, because it is simply a blast to drive. The current car also has one of GM's finest interiors, and we find the overall package to be outstanding, which is why we called the GTO our Autoextremist "High-Performance Value of the Year." The retirement of the GTO presents a real quandary for the Pontiac Division, as the GTO is really the only other car besides the Solstice that is true to the brand's mission within GM's divisional structure. Pontiac had a narrow window of opportunity with the car, but now that's gone, which is a shame. So if you like RWD high-performance, you owe it to yourself to check out the GTO before it disappears. And by the way, Pontiac enthusiasts shouldn't give up on the brand just yet, as there is a RWD performance car coming for the division. After the new Camaro makes its street debut as a 2008 model, watch for an all-new Pontiac Firebird to debut 12 months later as a 2009 model. You read it here first.

The new one is true to the GTO formula, and apparently more so than most people realize or would have liked. Oh well.