Pontiac GTO 06 LS2 Fun

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fintheman, Jul 13, 2006.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Planning on picking up a GTO soon on the PEP program through GM (25.5k)

I've been trying to look at the information out there as far as mods, and the LS2 just seems sick about it. I'm looking to throw at least 4-7k down on the engine and suspension.

No Turb/Chargers for me, I just want to make a cock strong daily driver.

I'm set on the GTO, but I'm kind of clueless where to start, from what I've seen.

1. CAI
    2. Exhaust
    3. Headers
    4. Computer Tuning
    5. New CAMS/Pushrods/Springs
    6. Drag Bags (cheap, but good if I wanna test it out)
    7. Suspension mods (Struts, Springs, Bushings, Bars) Short Throw
    8. Polished TB

Do you think its viable to build a extremely dependable daily driver that can be taken out to the Dragon and out on the drag?

Or do you think I should not even touch it and keep it stock until I hit the warranty period?

I have just always driven pieces of shit (paid for) and I thought I'd actually reward myself with a toy car.

My new job consists of travel for 3 weeks, with one week off (rental cars/hotels/planes), so basically, I'll put less than 300 miles a month on the car.

I'm just hoping I can turn 500hp at the crank

2. fintheman

Oh crap, I just noticed there are alot of GTO fans on here

Kick ass

And yes, the price is legit through a GM program which allows retired employees (my father) to purchase them, after they were used by an exec for 500-7500 miles.

3. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

Auto or Manual?

This is a good list. one thing to point out.... they only have one cam. However with just this you probably will have a hard time getting that 500hp without some extras, like heads.

A nice mild cam with these goodies make a nice daily driver.

I have a 224/224 .588/.588 114lsa cam ready for my car. Im expecting right around 400RWHP with similar mods, maybe a little more.

4. fintheman

Nice - I just want it to be a little cockstronger than stock (I'd probably be happy with 440 rwhp) and just a little more agile around the corners....

I just have to wait to find the right one through the PEP program. Can you get the silver/gray with the red interior?

I still have alot of research to do on the cams/exhaust, etc., but I will probably stay the conservative route on it.

(Not getting the cheapest part, but not getting the most expensive one either except for the CAM)

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

You'll be lucky to see 400rwhp. The IRS sucks down a lot of power. Also, the heat soak on the LS2 GTO is terrible... not to mention the horse shit torque management.

You'd be better off finding a mint 2004 GTO, and then doing an 05 conversion (hood and rear fascia). You'd save thousands and thousands of dollars...

I still miss my 2005 GTO. Had there not been a baby involved... I'd still have it. I still have an LS2... it just happens to be in an SUV. :bigthumb:

6. fintheman

"You'd be better off finding a mint 2004 GTO, and then doing an 05 conversion (hood and rear fascia). You'd save thousands and thousands of dollars..."

Really? yipes...I thought the LS2 was a little more friendly to work on and giving as far as HP.

I just do not want to throw on a charger/turbo.....

Honestly, its probably to fast for me, but I just want to actually have a fast car for once in my life, have a little fun, make it rumble and be done with my car fad for awhile.

7. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

If you want a brand new car then get a 2005-2006. Honestly, you should be able to find a 2004 that has been well maintained with extremely low mileage for about $20,000.

If you did a set of AFR 205 heads and a decent sized street cam, long tube headers, exhaust, and a solid tune you'd make 400-420rwhp... which would pretty close to 470-485hp at the crank. I'd also recommend throwing a 75 shot at the car just for shits and giggles.

One reason why I recommend the 2004 is because the 2005-2006 conversion is cheap. You can get the hood for $300-400, the rear fascia for about $300, and be done with it. As much as they talk about the 2005 having bigger and better brakes they still suck. You could easily do a Baer conversion, etc. The GTO also needs chassis parts to eliminate wheel hop which rarely happens on Fbodies. You'll need to figure in $1500-$2000 for axles, sub frame connectors, other misc. parts. It could be even more expensive if you need a new diff.

This is the best advice I could give you. The LS2 has a shit load of heat soak. My first dyno pull was 320rwhp, then it eventually went down to 290rwhp. Once we let it cool down and unplugged the battery it squeezed off 353rwhp. We then did back to back pulls and it dropped down to near 300rwhp again. The torque management is such bullshit and the heat soak is insane... not to mention the timing retard after a few runs.

Stick with an LS1. The LS2 does NOT provide any huge advantage of the LS2.... except for a few extra cubes.