Polyphasic sleeping aka Da Vinci sleep. Any experience?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BlackIce72, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

from wikipedia.org

Every 4 hours sleep 20 minutes. A couple friends experimented with this to increase productivity and saw great results until one got sick and needed to stay in bed and ruined his routine.

Each sleep cycle (during monophasic, or traditional 8 hour sleep) is ~90 minutes and only in the later part of each cycle do you experience REM. When your body gets acustomed to polyphasic sleeping, supposedly REM sleep occurs almost immediately as you fall asleep (based on your body's survival mechanism-- it knows it will only get 20 minutes and needs every bit of it)

Instead of waking up, warming up your body, having peak energy then crash, followed by peak energy and crash again, you are instead just constantly resting only as much as you need to for the next 4 hours.

From testimonials I've read, the first week is terrible. But, after that, many claim a much higher alertness and energy level while awake. The only time the body will crash is when you are due up for another nap anyway.

Anybody ever flirt with this idea or look into it?

ps: Seeing as sleep is literally nutrition for the body and mind, F&N seemed like a sufficient place to put this.

2. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Sounds pretty much impossible for anyone who works for a living.

3. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

werd, this wouldve been good in like... uhh college and thats about it

4. TZ

TZ Banned

sounds like bs

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

6. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

7 hours of sleep at night has worked for me for the past 16 years :dunno:

7. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Why would anyone do that ?
    It pretty much seems like the person is constantly tired because the longer you spend without sleeping, the shorter the time before entering in REM mode and usually it means that a greater percentage of your sleep is REM (or phase 3-4 sleep, I can't remember).
    Not sleeping builds up with time too, so if you end up sleeping 2h less than you should during 2 weeks, you'll end up as tired after those 2 weeks as if you didn't sleep more than 2 whole nights because you would lack 2h*7days*2weeks = 28h of sleep. And by ''as tired'' I mean that there will be the same cognitive deficits, memory problems, mood instability and so on.

8. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

If you work in an office, perhaps. You could schedule 20 minutes to sleep on a lunch break and eat while doing work.

You can delay sleep for up to an hour before you feel the crashing side effects.

I can't see myself doing this because of a combination of awkward class times and my job, but I feel like it would be interesting to try out in the summer.

It definitey would pose problems, especially in the first couple weeks. But, being sort of an experimental person-- I could try this for a month or so when work slows down.

9. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

That would fucking kill me. With my job, I've gotten to the point that anything less than 6 hours of solid, uninteruppted sleep, and I'm a zombie.

an extrordinarily pissed off zombie.

10. Spidey

Spidey Member

Kramer tried it in Seinfeld. Didn't work.

11. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

:cool: Neil Strauss also tried it if you read "the game". Turned out badly too

12. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

apples and oranges

13. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

this guy did polyphasic sleep for a month and wrote a blog about his experience.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-sleep/

(scroll down a bit to see the links for the days within his test)

i had previously read his blog on polyphasic sleep as i too was curious about the results.

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Living in a house with a dozen drama queens didn't help him though.

15. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

i used to work for a researcher that specialized in sleep, and I tried this and kept her updated and had lots of clinical work done.

Some general thoughts:

1) youre gonna be in a social vacuum, especially for the more hardcore methods where you nap every few hours.

2) the transition phase sucks...a lot

3)if you miss one nap, it's like repeating the transition phase. also, you need "reboot" days were you sleep for a looooong time periodically

4) depending on the person, you migh perform at a low leverl for the duration of the polyphasic sleep cycle. others reach their normal monophasic physical/mental levels, and some do better in certain types of mental tasks

5) your testosterone levels are going to plummet (note: this is from my blood work, but i wouldnt hesitate to say that it would be a general thing).

6) make sure you have lots of stuff to do, i basically stopped cus of how bored i got and how isolating it was. Finding 19 hours of stuff to do was harder than I imagined

7) Make sure you eat very very well.

I think that's pretty much it. I enourage you to read Why We Nap, by Claudio Stampi. It contains a lot of experiments and theory about different sleep patterns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Nap:_Evolution,_Chronobiology,_and_Functions_of_Polyphasic_and_Ultrashort_Sleep

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  16. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

What about caffeine intake?

17. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah well, it's going to mess up with a lot of the stuff that has to do with circadian rhythm. Cortisol and melatonin would be pretty messed up which isn't probably a good thing.

18. watagatapitusberry

The circadian rhythm stuff was really interesting. Apparently your body is really good at adjusting to sleep/wake cycles shorter than 24 hours, as long as that cycle is a factor of 24. In other words, If i slept 1 hour, then was awake 3 hours (4 hour cycle), I could do that 6 times a day and it work out much better than having a 5 hour cycle. Something about theta and delta waves, which I don't know much about, sorry. There aren't too many papers on this either, so I can't show you anything more concrete.

Cortisol was way up, which probably lowered test. The fact that i still worked out during this period probably didnt help. Also, cortisol increase was not proportional to the amount of sleep I missed...it was just really high.

Melatonin was within range, because I bought one of those sunlight mimicking lamps. I was mainly alarmed because nightworkers have really high cancer rates, and some researchers think it has to do with weak melatonin production (link) I think that's the right paper.

I wish i could show you the actual blood work panel, but it's part of ongoing research so I can't. :o

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  19. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I used to do something like this years ago.
    I'd be drinking tons of coffee and would sleep maybe 2 hour per night, take naps during the day and paint the night away. Then once per week I needed to crash 14-16 hours or so straight.

It was the most productive I ever was painting wise....weird its called DaVinci sleep.

20. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

That's pretty interesting ! I wrote an assignment on how we could use the circadian rhythms to help chemotherapy :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16231323&dopt=Abstract
    I also recall that when there are no environmental zeitgebers , most humans tend to fall to a 25h cycle instead of 24. Cycles under 24h are called ultradian cycles and the Davinci sleep makes sense if we take into account that babies have an ultradian sleep cycle. Our attention follows a 90 min cycle too (I'm checking back my neuroscience notes :o)

21. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I'm not sure if it would be a Davinci sleep. I'd like to think about it but I have to study for exams I have this week :wtc:

22. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

You'll do well.... you're the Canadian Ceaze in my book.:bigthumb:

23. watagatapitusberry

That's one of the questions we have now...why would an ultradian cycle that is a factor of 24 (4 hour cycle, 6 hour cycle, etc) work better than a cycle that is a factor of 25, expecially if we're hardwired for a 25 hour day?

24. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

:werd: he's one crazy mofo.

his gpa is like 3.91 or so :wtf:

25. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Shwin, thanks a lot for your info. I cannot find a copy of Why We Nap (out of print), but I will look for a used copy or an e-text of it.

I'm interested in experimenting a new sleeping pattern. Polyphasic (or at least the Uberman model) seems a bit too strict for what I am looking for. I'll look into some of the things you mentioned.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.