TAT Polynesian Body Chiseling (tattoos)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by DazedandConfused, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Hey, I was thinking about getting some kinda tattoo (not sure on the design), but im almost positive i want to have it done the way they did it in Polynesia. Body chiseling is supposed to be an important ritual, which I think will give it more significance (plus its supposed to hurt alot more). Does anyone have any info pertinant to the topic??:)

2. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

dont be surprised if you have to travel far away to have this done and expect to wait in a long line and pay big bucks and forget about sterility

3. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

yeah I'm sure it would be almost impossible to find someone who knows how to do that in America, you would definitely have to travel to somewhere in Asia to get that done and if I had to guess I bet they would have reservations about doing it on forgeiners

4. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

5. joy division

joy division New Member

just back of my mind stuff...in somoa the tattoo is more of a family / male passage deal. Women only get them from the waist down, men can have them over the full body. They are much more painful than standard tattoos...they are a right of passage for somoans, a way to show prestige.

This is similar to lots of the pacific area tattoos- the moka etc. Body designs mean different things- you are thinking of the triangular and stylistic designs right? I know in the 80's a few artists traveled to california to do these...many artists will not tattoo non-native people. I know in some villages in samoa the payment traditionally is hundreds of special rugs made by the family, and you have to know people in the town to get it done- and you have to PROVE that you are worth it. That is a big thing- not just anyone can get it; you have to be respected already.

Now if you look into mainland asia- india, thailand, japan...you can get traditional (tapping method) tattoos- they will not be in the same style.

Basically unless you have deep ties into a local culture on a pacific island- you are SOL for authentic tatts. If you want me to go into more detail I can, its been a few years since I've studied it in detail.

6. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

theres a guy named Corey in Oakville, Ontario who can do traditional hand tapping tattoos. his work is outstanding and is sterile. he was trained somewhere in asia although i cant recall where. the price is higher because the tattoos take much longer to do and they will hurt quite a bit more

7. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

i was in New Zealand last semester, and a lot of my friends wanted those original/traditional tattooing but nobody did it, they'd give you the designs, but not the method.