A&P Poll: which setup would u use for a family farewell dinner

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by twinturboteddy, Jun 8, 2008.

?

Poll: which setup would u use for a family farewell dinner

1. 1. AB Ringflash with, vagabond powerpack inside my backpack, and 20degree grid.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 2. Off camera SB-800s (3) using square diffuers or shoot through umbrellas.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

Scenario: My friend has asked me to come take some pictures of a farewell dinner for his sister. She is going away to live in Spain on Thursday.

Dinner is going to be Monday night at the Spaghetti Factory (http://www.osf.com/index.html) The interior is made to look like converted classrooms into dinning areas. I haven't been there in years but from what I recall the ceilings are way too tall for bounce flash.

I want to try to bring limited equipment with me so I do not distract the dinner, other guests at the restaurant, and the waiters.

So here is what I'm thinking

1. AB Ringflash with, vagabond powerpack inside my backpack, and 20degree grid.

2. Off camera SB-800s (3) using square diffuers or shoot through umbrellas.

Lenses will be 35/2, 50/1.4, 12-24/4, 80-200/2.8

I want to take good shots and not have them oooh or ahhhh at me the whole time. I'm sure you're all way to used to that as well.

2. nine

nine OT Supporter

how tall are the ceilings? you'd be surprised how much you can bounce. even if its just to add some light to get a decent shutter speed.

3. Pants

Pants New Member

That's a lot of stuff to bring to a restaurant. Will they have a private room?

I voted for the ringlight, but personally I'd just use one SB-800 and a better bounce card (www.abetterbouncecard.com) so I could move around easily.

4. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Did you have a red FD?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  5. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

I'd alternate between the ring flash and some bounce flash

6. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

I just went and bought one of those 39 dollar gary fong lightsphere diffusers in a cloud variant. I just read the BIO on that guy and he is such an extreme over achiever I don't think I will buy any of his products anymore just because I'm jealous.

Okay back to topic. Maybe the lightsphere diffuser might be a good alternative, although I can't positively say I like the result yet. I thought it would be less harsh.

Yes adamlewis88 I did have a red FD. I sold that back in 2001 or so and bought a CYM R1. That was sold in 2005. I do the motorcycle thing now. Rarely ever ride it though. My friend who bought my CYM is actually a pretty good amateur photographer too.

I'll bring one shoe mounted flash with the diffuser and the ab ringflash and see how it goes. I'll post some pics if I think they are up to the critical eyes of OT. You guys are too harsh!