POLL: iMAC w/ 15" LCD w/ superdrive or Sony RZ14G Desktop PCV-RZ14G?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AcuraTL, Jan 13, 2003.

?

Which is the best for what I need?

1. Apple

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Sony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AcuraTL

AcuraTL Old Member

The iMAC is $1699 including the monitor and the Sony is $1599 without the monitor. I am basically going to be doing alot of digital video editing and digital photo editing. I have been using a hand-me-down HP 1.5 GHz so I am looking to upgrade. Anyone has any opinions on these two computer systems?

2. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

The G4 800mhz is a potent processor, but when compared to your wintel equivalent, you could get more out of the PC. $1600 a conversational piece when you think about what you're getting for your money.

If you insist on getting a mac, get the PowerMac dual 867mhz with DDR as oppose to the single data kind. Youre really geting more value for the PowerMac.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

It depends on whether you want a Windows operating system or an Apple operating system.

5. AcuraTL

AcuraTL Old Member

It really doesn't matter which OS I use, I really need the new computer for do video editing and to burn them onto DVDs.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

G4 may be more practical for video purposes...

..although I've used Avid and a few other broadcasting softwares on a PC and it ran fine.

7. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

No, the OS matters a great deal. The way I see it, deciding which OS/environment you want to use is the only question you should be asking. Either set of hardware will perform the tasks you are looking for with plenty of speed. You need to decide if you want to learn a new environment or not. You don't want to buy an iMac, not like OS X and be stuck with it.

8. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

There are no application on the PC that has such a close integration as iLife, recently unveiled at MacWorld. The things you can do to video is awesome and with time and patience you could, dare I say, turn out a hollywood calibre production.

iLife is only $49 so it won't break your bank. The SuperDrive is a wonderful thing, but bare in mind when you price it out an aftermarket PC equivalent is about the same (if you're going PC).

Rendering video on a single 800mhz G4 is gonna be long and tedious anyway you look at it. Having to use SD instead of DDR is also going to cut into the rendering time (though largely dependent on CPU power). G4 PowerPC again is Dual 867mhz, 256MB of DDR expanable to 2GB! $1699 + $200 for a SuperDrive. OS differences is marginal. You will have to learn the video editig software regardless of platform.

I think the choice is clear.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yea, I'd go for the Mac for video (plus I have a bias, having used macs since I was 6 before I switched to Linux :big grin:)

10. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Apple laptops :wackit:

11. AcuraTL

AcuraTL Old Member

:werd: Too expensive

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Dad has one (newish G3 iBook) :big grin:

13. AcuraTL

AcuraTL Old Member

Not sure if this should make any difference, but I have all Sony products (digital camera/camcorder) with memory stick so it'll be nice to just plug in the memory stick into the Sony PC. Also, I have some analog video footage that I need to upload...and the Sony will allow me to do that.