SRS Poll: do your problems follow you?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pew pew pew, Mar 3, 2009.

?

Do your problems follow you?

1. Yes, your problems will always follow you wherever you go

36 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No, getting out of town can get you out of a funk in life

20 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

i still live in my hometown with all the same people i grew up with.. its a crappy white trash town that has gone down the crapper the last several years. i finish my degree soon i hope, if i dont fail... i feel like i have so many problems and if i got out of here i could leave some things behind (bad family relationship, bad relationship that just wont go away, friends starting to enter 'dead end' status, general tiredness of the same surroundings most of my life)..
    i am being offered a job here that has room for advancement but i couldn't have less passion for it
    i could move and go back to school and just take out loans and take more classes in stuff i think is interesting and work part time like i have been and go for another BS or try to get into grad school
    or
    move to a more populated area and try to find a 'real job' closer to my field.

i feel like there is a lot more culture, things to do, opportunity and diversity in a larger town or city... im the only one of my friends (or people i know in general) that has any desire for something better in life or anything outside the confines of this local area. i guess im ambitious but to a fault.
    i feel like a square peg in a round hole.
    so does moving physical help with problems?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Too hard to choose. Problems always involve your own behaviors, but sometimes leaving can get you out of the interactions that provoke those bad behaviors. It doesn't fix them, but it can at least give you perspective on them so you can deal with them later.

3. skierd

skierd Member

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. It somewhat depends if your problems truly stem from within or without. Of course, sometimes you really do just need to get it out to see that where you are really isn't that bad after all.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

They say your problems travel together with you. Of course another location can offer different oppertunities but you should beware not to move from one trashy place to another trashy place as there are bound to be many more of them, remember that especially because during the economic crisis things are bound to be 'bad' in general but if you can find a place where things are better, i (other then having to leave your family behind) see no objections in it.Anyway keep looking for good oppertunities.

5. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

thanks for the advice everyone.... i just know that when i made smaller life choices, moving to college, moving out of the house, etc.... it was nice for a while then it seemed like my demons started chasing me again emotionally. though i did squash some of the problems... i guess it will take a lot more thought on my part but deep down i think im already made up to get out

6. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

yup

my last 2 ltr followed the same pattern

shits too complicated to figure out right now

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The trick is to not change too much at the same time -- because then you're left with nothing familiar, nothing you can relate to, nothing to do. Then you turn into one of those people like the main character in Fight Club, where you just go to work and go back home, back and forth, until 1/1000 someone shakes you out of it or 999/1000 you kill yourself.

8. jizzmo

jizzmo New Member

I used to feel just like this. Just drop everything and get the fuck outta there. you will be so much more happy. Break out a map and throw a dart at it and go.

9. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Get out and go. Don't think too much on doing nothing, because then you will end up doing nothing. Don't let yourself bring up excuses that prevent you from leaving, just drop those and move out. The only thing stopping yourself is you, and you can't deny that.

Wherever you land, make sure you keep in contact with your family. If your friends are as dead-end as you think and say they are, you can make new ones. However, to make sure that things ACTUALLY change, you'll need to have some introspection. Look inside and tell yourself what is wrong, look inside and see the patterns that have led to your problems in the past. You construct your own universe, so build a good one.

And if you find yourself without anything to do because you've changed too much too quickly, think about what your hobbies are and try to find local clubs or groups that support those hobbies. Or pick up new ones. Try new things until you can look at yourself in the mirror and say "I'm happy."

10. dont take the job in your town. never take a job that you know ahead of time that you will hate... that never ends well..
    if i was in your shoes, i'd move... just my .02

11. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

like i said, i intellectualize it and try to go through the decision making process but in my heart i think its already set but thats like everything in my life. thanks for the advice everyone

12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

That's why they call it baggage. I prefer to take just a carry on if possible.

13. alexs001

alexs001 Mawk! Mawk!

If I could get hollywood grade amnesia, and forget everything I know about who I am or anything about my past... it would be amazing. Unfortunately I can only dream about such freedom.

14. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

:werd: I got to relive some of the things I wished to forget this past weekend and I've got a barely functioning right hand and dozens of bruises as a result. Some problems go with you no matter where you go but others can be changed by going somewhere else. Your environment definitely has an affect on you but you can't run away from your past. I've been trying to run from my past for a long time and to many different places and, if anything, it's made it worse.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

generally yes, you make your own problems so where ever you go, there they are.

but if the problem TRULY have their root in the location or some other people, then getting away *might* allow you to start over.

16. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

This. I moved away as far as i could and started over. Now i have my life in order to the point where i'd consider being able to visit the state of my brith without wanting to die or murder anyone

17. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

I went from white trash to big city and back again.

I found myself happier in the city and am only back because of work. I'm successful now, and I don't mind admitting it. I work hard and have a good job. And I feel good. I have shown that a shit background doesn't have to stop you doing anything. Once I finish up my work here I will be moving back to the big city.

But at the moment I take pride in talking to a couple of kids I met who I found I could identify with. One of them actually thanked me for showing him that there was a way out if you were true to who you were really were. And that meant more than anything.