Polk RTi12 or other floor speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TireSmokinSRT, Sep 14, 2006.

1. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

Hey guys,
    I'm just starting to piece together my home theater system.

Current Setup:
    Sony 60" SXRD
    Yami RX-V2400 Receiver
    KLH Floor speakers with 15" subs/4" mid etc..(old as dirt)
    Polk 5.1 surround sound (RM500 or something like that)
    HT PC
    PS2
    Prog. Scan DVD/Tape combo
    etc..

I'd like to update my speakers, particularly the old ass KLH's and was looking for a nice pair of floor speakers.

Figure about $1500 for a pair...maybe more if the difference is significant. I was readking about the Polk RTi12's and they seem really nice. I'm happy with my polk setup right now for what they cost.

And will I need a seperate amp for these speakers? I believe the receiver is 120x7 or thereabouts...

Thanks!

2. TireSmokinSRT

one thing i noticed is that these speakers can take 500watts...and that would def require a big ass amp.

the B&W 604's seem very nice too and only require 200w...my receiver is putting out 120 so that seems like it's maybe a better match.

3. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

In the specs, when they say 500 watts Max or RMS, they aren't saying you need an amplifier that can put out 500 watts to run them. They are saying that is the most the speaker can handle without damaging the drivers.

Very efficient horn loaded speakers often don't need more than 10 watts to sound loud, yet they may be rated to handle 200 watts RMS. It's your upper limit, not the minimum.

The speakers efficiency is a better indicator of whether or not your amplifier will be enough to get them loud enough for your standards. This is usually given in xdB/1 watt, where x is sound pressure, in decibles, that the speaker will deliver with 1 watt from 1 meter away.

B&W speakers in general aren't very efficient. The 604's are rated at 90 db/watt. Your receiver would most definitely be powerrful enough to make them uncomfortably loud, but it would be using more power to do so.

The RTi12's are rated at 90 db as well. The impeadance curve is also a factor in matching a speaker to an amplifier, but that is often unavailible and more complex. Pick the one you think sounds better, either will be fine with your receiver.

4. TireSmokinSRT

thanks for the input, I'll have to go check both of them out. I believe a local retailer stocks both polk and b&w's along with some other stuff.

:bigthumb:

5. blykins

blykins New Member

Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellati
    Klipsch F-3's ftw

6. TireSmokinSRT

what about the RF-83's? :eek3:

7. blykins

blykins New Member

Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellati
    um yeha thatd be nice but their like $2400 for a pair.

8. TireSmokinSRT

ok i got a chance to check out some speakers at a local dealer today. Checked out the B&W S604 ( think that's the model) and the Klipsch RF-63 and RF-62's.

Overall i liked the Klipsch sound better. The 63's were a bit deeper than the 62's and I liked that, but at $1000 less the 62's were a much better buy.

I think I might go with the RF-82's as an in between. Then do the RC-64 center channel, the RS-52 surrounds and I'm still undecided on the sub, I'd like to do the RT-10d

9. TFunkadelic

Cool, I like my klipsch home theatre set up.

10. TireSmokinSRT

:bigthumb:

they definitely sound good! the friggin RC-64 center channel is f'ing enormous though, its 8"x13.5"x33" !!!!! :eek3:

11. TFunkadelic

If you plan to listen to alot of music on this system, you might want to consider something else. Listening to music on my klipsch system is extremely boring after having the Proacs around.

12. TireSmokinSRT

i figure it'll be about 80% TV/Games/Movies and the rest music.

Which klipsch speakers do you have?

13. TFunkadelic

RF-5's, RSW-15 subwoofer.

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i have RT600i floor standers. i love mine, got them at a hell of a deal, put they sound great. $200/pr.

edit: i'm not sure where they fall in line next to the ones that you are looking at, but that's my opinion on polks

15. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

The Rti12's are incredibly power hungry ... doing a quick search on avs or audioholics will pull up a lot of posts about the improvement heard in the speakers after adding even a smaller rotel stereo amp ... That being said I was thinking about getting the 12's but decided to go with 8's and a seperate svs sub with the money saved not buying a separate amp.

16. grendel

grendel New Member

Depending on what kind of music you listen to, you might want to take a listent to the Polk LSI15s. Audiophile grade speaker. Super accurate though not very efficient. I have owned a lot of speakers and absolutely love these.

17. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

Though I am an admitted Polk fanatic, I'll suggest the Klipsch KSB 3.1's, since Klipsch was mentioned and their dynamic and low frequency response did impress me (but the Polk's were better).