Polk Monitor 60's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sito, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

Some of my parents older speakers have blown out and I was thinking of replacing them.
    Newegg has the Polk monitor 60's on sale for $226 shipped for a pair.
    I was wondering if this was a good deal, as I've seen the rti8's on sale for 150 w.out shipping. They don't need anything crazy as their receiver is pretty old, its a pioneer vsx-502. So the hard part is I need something that can perform, is decently future proof (say they get a new receiver since the old one is so old) and is a good deal. It seems even when the rti8's are on sale they're $350 w/shipping at least. I know there are better speakers out there, but I was just wondering if this was a decent price for them.

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

I have the polk 50's (one less woofer) and they're great for the money I spent. Midbass is decent but not great and the highs are good.

I've heard the polk rti-8's are better if you can afford them.

sorry if you were only looking for a price check :hs:

3. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

nono thats a ton of help, I've actually ended up in a bit of a dilemma now.
    I actually wanted to originally get the r50's from frys.com but after shipping they were nearly $200 shipped for a pair. Then I saw that newegg had the monitor 60's for $226 shipped for a pair and knew that the monitors were a better speaker for the money. Now my dilemma is that I just recently saw/know that the rti8's were on sale for $150 each at frys.com only 10 days ago. Thing is should I wait for the rti8's to go on sale again, and pay $100 more (~$344 shipped based on last times sale)? or just get the monitor 60's? Do you think the rti8's are worth the trouble and the extra money?

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

FWIW. I have a set of Monitor 60's enroute from Newegg as we speak. I should know how I like them next weekend. I've heard good things about them for speakers in that price range.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter