Polk Audio will have speakers to compete with MB Quart and Dynaudio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BATMANs, May 5, 2005.

1. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

I just spoke to a rep at Polk and was telling him the reason why I went with the MB Quart Q-series a few years ago was that it was the only top of the line 5.25" speakers that I could it in the stock speaker location of my 93 RX7 doors.

I said that the MB Quarts magnets are shallow enough so that it won't require hacking.

He said that in June of this year there will be $600+ speakers that will compete with MB Quarts best speakers and that of Dynaudio. And that it will be easier to fit.

Has anyone else heard about this?

I have Polk in the rear speakers and woofer and for the $$$ I'm content with their sound quality.

2. denim

denim New Member

I did not know about it, but I live near the headquarters, I should stop by

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i'll believe it when i hear it.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

havent heard anything amazing from Polk so we'll see.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Have you heard the MM6? They aren't sold any longer, but they were their competition line. I own a pair and they sound great. I feel they sound significantly better than my brother's premium MB Quartz (the model that was sold last year for about $600).

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

MB quart is nice but i dont know if theyre worth the price, Im a CDT fan myself.

Do you happen to know how much the Diamond D9 Speakers are running for and how they perform?

7. veonake

Nope, unfortunately living in Santa Barbara there aren't many high-end dealers here for car audio (if any really), so I can't demo a lot of things. :wtc: Maybe I should just start ordering stuff online and returning it. But, I would feel kind of bad doing that to a lot of companies. I don't like the MB sound a whole lot either, but there are some people that swear by them.

8. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

Isn't SB a high income place? I would assume that would entail high end audio as well.

9. veonake

Ok... you pulled up a month old thread, but whatever. Yes, they do sell high-end HOME audio. The wealthy people here are most retirees, who have little interest in putting a several thousand dollar system into their cars. They drive porsches, ferraris, and other exotics anyways, so the stock system isn't bad. They do like their home theaters and audiophile systems though, so we have several shops serving those needs.

Believe me, I drove 50 miles last time to Ventura so that I could visit a shop that sold something other than Infinity, JBL, etc. Even then when I said "rainbow" they looked at me like I was from another planet.