Political infidelity

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

When a politician's wife (or pro athlete's wife) finds out her husband has been unfaithful, do you think she loses respect in the public eye if she doesn't file for divorce?

I remember the guy who wrote that book "Men > Women" (he was on Oprah or Dr. Phil, absolutely hilarious guy) saying something like "Hillary Clinton will never be president because women lost respect for her (and therefore wouldn't vote for her) when Bill cheated," altho now that I think about it, he said they lost respect for her "because she couldn't keep her husband satisfied," but she also didn't divorce him.

Anyway, so Tiger has fucked at least 7 other women (allegedly). If she stayed with him would everyone (women) lose respect for her?

Some other politician's wife is filing for divorce now. I just saw it on a news site but I forgot who it was. It said she's filing a few months after her husband admitted he cheated. Do you think people are going to think "go her, she's awesome!!" for doing so?

Or do you think that many people would respect someone who stays with an unfaithful husband "for the sake of the family" or something? Or are they staying to maximize their own political career? Or do you think they just don't care about the marriage but enjoy the lifestyle and stay for that reason?

Discuss.

Sub-discussion: If Hillary had immediately divorced Bill, do you think she would have had a better shot at the presidency because more people would respect her?

2. giz

giz Active Member

people's memories are short lived.

kobe bryant is popular as ever. elliot spitzer is back in the public eye.

if Hillary thought she had a better chance at the Presidency if she divorced Bill, she would have done it because that's the type of people politicians are.

3. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

2nded.

I think she would have gone either way because I fully believe that for her ambition > all

4. fray

fray New Member

I don't put that much thought into any of those women.

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Political infidelity?

You are too much, man :rofl:

6. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

if hillary had divorced bill her political career would be over.
    and by the way, she would have won the presidency this past year if it wasn't for a once in a half-century candidate who came out of nowhere.

7. infinite.purple

infinite.purple New Member

honestly, i feel like i'd lose more respect for someone who immediately divorced their husband when an affair became public. i feel like it takes more effort and more character to stay and work on things than to cut and run, especially with media craziness.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

That's an interesting perspective. I hadn't even thought of that.

Usually I assume that the person should come to the conclusion of "I deserve better" and leave.

I know all the famous people who cheat give their public apologies, but they seem insincere... like they're doing it cuz their PR person told them to, not because they're actually sorry.

9. infinite.purple

i would agree with the "i deserve better" conclusion in a dating relationship for sure. but when you agree to marry someone, i think it should mean more than that. obviously every situation is different, and i'm not saying i expect people to stay with partners who continually cheat and just accept it. i'm just saying that sticking around for a while to at least try to work through it shows you meant it when you said "i do" to the whole "til death do us part" thing. :dunno:

also, i agree with you about public apologies. but honestly, the whole premise of public apologies for personal shit is kind of retarded.

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I see cheating as proof that the cheater is not a high quality person and/or unhappy with their spouse and/or other criteria where continuing to be married is the wrong course of action.

"I do" and "til death do us part" is not unconditional.

Perhaps the vows should say "I do", "til death do us part", "or unless one of us fucks up."

Besides, if someone cheats, they obviously want other pussy (or dick). If you love someone you should want them to be happy even if that means not being with you, so they're showing you (words > actions) what they want. Let them go so they can pursue what makes them happy.

Yeah. I guess the public is so dumb tho. "Durr he apologized he must feel bad. Awww what a sweet guy!!! Yay we like him again!"

11. infinite.purple

i agree that it's not unconditional...

but fucking up is human. if someone cheats just because they are a bad person, don't have a conscience, etc, then that's one thing. but i think most people cheat because they are unhappy/unsatisfied with the relationship, and that sometimes that can be improved with time and effort from both parties. also i think people can be genuinely remorseful and forgiven. but maybe ithat's just wishful thinking.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

This was posted on the main forum today. The segment I'm talking about is at 0:36.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4382952

13. infinite.purple

agree to disagree. this is not always the case.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Explain.

The only other examples I can think of are when a woman is with a wussy guy and she meets a more manly guy who wants to fuck her (eg. he makes her feel like a woman) or when a guy is with a bitch and he meets a chick who makes him feel like a man, but even in these cases, it's still wanting other dick/pussy.

I can't think of any other reasons. People don't cheat because they don't want to have sex. I don't think anyone says "I don't want to fuck this other person... I know! I'll fuck them!"

15. giz

giz Active Member

how does it take more character to allow yourself to be disrespected?

it takes more character to stand up for yourself.

16. infinite.purple

not immediately filing for divorce doesn't necessarily mean you're condoning disrespect. it just means you're willing to suck up your pride for a moment and figure out why they cheated before you decide to become part of the 50% divorce rate statistic.

17. infinite.purple

ok, ya you're right. people who cheat clearly want to have sex. but i think cheating is often a coping mechanism for other problems more than just an animalistic need to fuck things.

honestly, i'm not saying you're wrong. i have never been married, so i really don't know what i'd do in that situation. :dunno:

18. giz

giz Active Member

I didn't specify a time period :hsugh: ok so you know why they cheated, now what? does it matter? that's a personal decision, but I don't see how anybody could argue that it takes character to allow yourself to be walked over in a marriage.

19. infinite.purple

still not something i'm condoning

20. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Whenever a celebrity of any kind cheats continuously on their spouse and the spouse sticks by them I think a lot less of the spouse.

21. infinite.purple

ya when it's an ongoing thing, i agree it's best to walk away.

22. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Is that because it's a celebrity and you think the spouse is just putting up with their bullshit to continue to live in the public eye?

Do you think any less of someone who stays with their non-celebrity spouse when the spouse cheats?

23. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Not really. I just think people who stay with habitual cheaters are weak.

Yes

24. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I agree with that... but it applies in ANY situation, celebrity or not. Anyone who sticks by a cheater in a relationship is showing that they lack self respect; if they can't/don't respect themselves, why should I respect them?

25. lauren

lauren Active Member

most of these women have done nothing to earn my respect in the first place. they are just married to famous people.

:dunno: