Polished/Waxed my GSX

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by pelf, Jan 2, 2006.

1. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

Bought the car a year ago. I am a broke college kid so I cant afford to get a nice paint job so I made the best of it and bought a 20$ walmart 10" polisher and a few polishing bonnets and gave it a shot.

Paint is horrible. Chipped, 2 different colors from where previous owner sprayed over OEM paint, and no clear coat really left on it (paint was coming off when I used the paint cleaner)

But it came out nice and looked half decent for a while.

I didnt really have a clue what I was doing...but I did everything with the polisher. Put on a coat of paint cleaner/swirl remover and wiped that off. Then did a coat of polish with the polisher, wiped that off and then put on a coat of tech wax. All products I used were by meguiars.

Anyways, here are some before/after pics. Didnt really last long after it started raining unfortunately :(

Linking because Im too lazy to resize:

BEFORE
    http://atlaspharmaceuticals.com/eric/ericspics/Car%20Stuff/GSX/New%20GSX/161_6132.JPG
    http://atlaspharmaceuticals.com/eric/ericspics/Car%20Stuff/GSX/New%20GSX/161_6137.JPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER (2 seperate times):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and NOW:(second time buffing)
    http://atlaspharmaceuticals.com/eric/ericspics/Car%20Stuff/IMG_2212.JPG
    http://atlaspharmaceuticals.com/eric/ericspics/Car%20Stuff/IMG_2213.JPG
    http://atlaspharmaceuticals.com/eric/ericspics/Car%20Stuff/wheel-sig.jpg

2. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

what the crap did you do to the hood?

3. pelf

Different hood. The one on the car was way too oxidized to do anything with.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Your car never had a clear coat. If it did and all that was left was the color coat, there is no way you can get it to shine.

Definitely a nice turnaround, I know how much work you put into it. When I first started my detailing business, there were still a lot of single stage paint jobs on new cars-I'd dread calls from people who owned 1st gen Explorers that were red, black or white because I knew they would be oxidized and it would be a long day. :sad2:

You will need to lightly polish and wax your car every 3 months or so or it will start fading again. If you want to continue using the Meguiars stuff, just do steps 2 and 3. Do that a few times and your car will continue to look better and better. :)

5. pelf

Thanks for the tips. As for how much work probably around 3-4 hours or so. The annoying part is whiping it down after applying polishes or waxes just because it doesnt really haze too well and just doesnt come off cleanly or anything. Will keep on polishing/waxing every 3 months or so. Any recommendations for products that will make it come out nicer than the meguairs gold star or class or wahtever polish and tech wax?

6. Ash. Housewares.

Ash. Housewares. Shop Smart

Nice probe wheels :) Clean lookin GSX.

7. pelf

Haha. They came on the car when I got them but I was rockin the probe wheels and showing some ford love for a few months till I swapped over my 5zigens ;) :wiggle:

8. CyberEye

I meant the weird scoop thing

9. pelf

[​IMG]
    Just a hood scoop to let hot air out. Really did help a lot keeping engine bay temps down alot. Was on the car when I bought it. Wouldnt have gotten it if it didnt already had it. SUCH a PITA when it rains.

10. Scottwax

I'd order some Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Carnauba Moose Wax. Vanilla Moose does a great job on oxidation and Carnauba Moose looks real deep and wet. You can apply both with your buffer, although stepping up to a Porter Cable and proper pads would be better. :)

11. pelf

Id look into that Porter Cable but I dont know if I could justify it for the few times I polish my car but If I find a good deal or a nice used one I'd look into that.

Are the two products your suggesting both by Clearkote?

The first 2 products on this page:
    http://www.clearkote.com/products.htm ?

Thanks for the tips!

12. CyberEye

Knew what it was fore, just never seen that one on a dsm before. Definately has to be fun in the rain lol. Adding washers to the hood hinges > that

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Scott, i tried some VM on an older Toyota Tercel a while back. WHich had the old single stage Toyota paint on it. And they where looking for nothing but oxidation removal. Nothing fancy. So i figures that the VM would work well to remove the oxi, neat and fast. Boy was i ever wrong. It didnt bring the paint back at all. Just gave it a dull glow, and thats about it.

So i tried Optimum. Got rid of the Oxi, left the paint dull at the surface.
    So i tried DACP, got decent results with that. But it still want leaving the paint as "fresh" looking as i would want it. Although it was removing alot of the marring inteh paints finish.

Finally, i tried some SR2.0. And HOLY CRAP! I couldent believe how well it removed the oxi, and left a nice fresh looking finish on the paint. I did the whole car with a megs red pad, and SR2.0 topped with NXT, and it looked almost brand new. And they where extatic about how it looked.

Ive heard alot of people say that VM works great for oxidation, but so far the only things ive found that work well for it are DACP and SR2.0.

14. quamen

quamen New Member

nice job,needs more polishing it is oxidized

15. kwality

kwality OT Supporter

DO you work at Cardinal Health?

16. pelf

no, just a cool building to take pics at. do you?

17. turboCABBY

turboCABBY New Member

So I am assuming you performed some sort of methodical test to figure out your conclusion "keep engine bay temps down a lot".... What did you do? Did you compare some readings on another AWD DSM?

18. pelf

Not really much common sense...Just logic...I guess if theres a huge hole in the hood that lets air out, its going to be cooler under there....and it also did feel alot cooler after popping hood after a drive compared to not having it.

19. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Depending on the location of the hole. It can actually cause some dead air spots where hot air collects. So, dont always assume that becuase theres a hole, its automaticly cooler.

When it comes to aerodynamics, and the dynamics of the automobile, common sence it often not the best logic to use.

Hell, if common sence where part of the logical tuning process, the world woul dhave alot fewer ricers, and what ricers there where would be rolling on 6 seconed hondas, with pump gas.

20. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Nice job.

Apply Tire Dressing before taking pics also. It'll really make an improvement in the overall look.

I'd always be impressed with how much better vehicles look when all the trim, wheels, wheel wells, etc. have dressing on them.

I personally have started using armorall for wheel wells and Stoner's Trim Shine for Tires. Trim shien in the 5 gallon buckets is not solvent based so I don't have to worry about washing the weels often to make sure they don't brown.

21. TurboKaren512

TurboKaren512 New Member

thats a fine looking 1G :coold:

22. Scottwax

Buck-o-it may depend on the hardness of the paint as to what works best. I've had VM do an amazing job on a red Jeep as you can see in this half/half shot:

[​IMG]

And PwC has worked well too. I have had to go to DACP and SSR2.5 though on harder paints.

What I was suggesting is that now the Eclispse is polished out, VM will do a great job maintaining and continuing to remove any light oxidation between deep polishing sessions.

23. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

That could very well be Scott.
    Ill surely be putting that to the test next week (now that the weather here up north has finally cleared up) on a red Jeep just like the one youve pictured there.

My primary experience with VM on single stage paint has been with Toyota single stage red, white and black. And depending on the condition, I may have to use DACP to get through the really dull spots. ANd then use the SR2.0 as the final "hard" polish before going to glazes, like VM or #80. For whatever reason, Megs stuff just seems to put more life in the Toyota paint. Once its all polished out though applying VM over it adds a nice gloss. But it didnt seem to be doing much more abrasive polishing. Becuase there was almsot no transfer off the paint at that point. Where the DACP, SR2.0, and #80 where all polishing a fair amount, and seemed to be adding alot more oils back into the paint.

Now that its back in the season for me, ill have to start toying around with some differnt techniques, and products and see how it comes out.

24. Mister Obvious

Mister Obvious Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us no

My whole car used to look like the left side of the hood in this pic when I bought it a couple of years ago. It was probably not quite as bad as your GSX, but it was pretty rough.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have time to order any products off the internet so I used some Meguiars premium paint cleaner, #7 show car glaze, and #26 tech wax since they were all available locally.
    [​IMG]

I think it turned out pretty good. I did this by hand, so you don't NEED a PC, but it does help.

The #7 glaze is a PITA to use, but it sure does make the car shine.