Polished and waxed my car today.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by deusexaethera, May 26, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It only took four damn hours, too.

First, I gave it the standard once-over with soapy water and a brush, then the fun began. Since the car hadn't had its paint maintained in God-knows-how-long, I followed up the brush wash with an all-over clay-barring, which got off a decent amount of grime that the soap didn't touch, including a nasty brown glaze from the back of the trunk above the tailpipe. Then I washed it again, to get rid of the Meguiar's detailing spray and clay-water.

Next, I busted out the brand-new Ryobi orbital buffer I just bought today ($20 at Home Depot, woot!), and polished the hood, roof, and trunklid with Turtle Wax polishing compound. I couldn't really tell if it did any good, but it definitely changed the way the rinsewater reacted to the paint -- which is to say, it totally stopped beading up at all. I have no idea if that's good or bad, but the paint did feel ever-so-slightly smoother afterwards. Then I washed it again, to get rid of the polish.

With that done, I switched from the microfiber pad to the terrycloth pad and proceeded to smear Mother's carnauba wax all over the car (including the black plastic, dammitall), and after letting it sit while I sucked down a Coke, I went back and removed the excess with an old T-shirt. (I used WAY too much wax, but that's better than swirling the paint with a dry buffer; I like to compensate for lack of skill by erring on the side of caution.)

I didn't intend to just remove the excess with that T-shirt, but that's how it worked out, because I didn't realize just how hard carnauba wax is when it dries. So I cleaned the polish out of the microfiber pad, put it back on the buffer, and went to it. I got a little more than the hood done before the microfiber pad was caked with grey residue, and everything else I tried to buff, I just ended up rewaxing. Hmm.

Having run through both of the pads that came with the buffer, I had to improvise. Fortunately, my garage is stocked with old (clean) washcloths, so I wrapped one over the buffer head and held the corners with one hand while I buffed with the other hand. I ended up using three more of them before I was done.

So, once I was done, I did the spray test, and sure enough, the water ran right off the car like...well, like it had just been waxed. Good work. Unfortunately, by the time I finished, it was too dark to take photos. I'll take a couple tomorrow, so y'all can tell me what I should pay more attention to next time.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'd invest in some microfiber towels, they make removing polish and wax a lot easier.

3. deusexaethera

Eh, the polish I removed with a hose, and the terry buffer did a good job of removing the wax, though I should invest in some goddamned common sense; I didn't dry the car off after I spray-tested it, and now it's covered with water spots.

On that note, what's a good way of removing water spots without taking the wax with it?

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

This thread has "EDU" written all over it.

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

wait, wat?

6. deusexaethera

Probably. On the other hand, it's the first time I've done anything to the paint on that car in a year. If my neighbor hadn't mentioned the buffer on sale, the car wouldn't have gotten this either, because I hate, and I mean hate, waxing cars.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

man, i honestly don't know if this is for real or not.

8. deusexaethera

Well, you could remove the stick from your ass, that might clear things up a bit.

I don't recall ever saying I was an expert at detailing cars, and frankly, I have no interest in it. I just felt like posting what I'd done, because given my complete lack of interest, the fact that I got anything of the sort accomplished is remarkable.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

sorry, i didn't know you were being serious. most people come in here and read the stickies, then ask questions about products to use or how to use them. your mention of using turtle wax polishing compound, 409, and a ryobi buffer just makes me think you're joking around. If you really are going this route, and getting results you want, then that's great!

10. deusexaethera

Well, there's no doubt that I was trying to do the job at the lowest possible cost. I knew the paint needed clay-barring because I could feel the grit, and I don't mind doing that by hand because it's pretty mindless and easy, but the buffing really waxes my ass (pun intended) -- the Ryobi buffer is probably the cheapest thing I could've gotten to do the job for me, but it's an orbital buffer at least, so unless a big, expensive Porter Cable can do somthing magical in addition to moving the pad in small circles, then the rest is just finesse and experience.

So of course, the day after I waxed my car, it rained. I guess that's karma. Anyway, here's a couple of pics for the hell of it.

The victim:
    [​IMG]

The hood, polished and waxed:
    [​IMG]

The hood again, with a cool flash effect on the raindrops:
    [​IMG]

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you definitely got a good coat of wax on there.

12. deusexaethera

The wax felt...buttery, for lack of a better word...after I buffed it, but the next day it didn't feel like much at all. If I were more industrious, I'd put another coat on, but that will have to wait until I'm feeling motivated enough to confiscate the driveway long enough to get it done.

EDIT: Or I dunno, maybe the "buttery" feeling is supposed to go away after a day or so?

ANOTHER EDIT: One thing's for sure, after using this Mother's carnauba wax, I'm never touching my father's DuPont silicone shit again. That stuff is so hard to use right. It dries like clay if you don't get to it fast enough.

13. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

what is with everyone driving passats.

Is it atleast turbo?

14. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

This may be the worst thread in the history of this forum however I am not surprised considering the source.

15. deusexaethera

Yes, it's a turbo. 18psi.

From what I can tell, virtually nobody drives Passats, at least in my area. There are a few, but that new Nissan Altima I was considering buying has somehow become a dime a dozen overnight.

16. deusexaethera

Thanks for contributing.

17. Scottwax

No, actually, the PC is much more powerful than the Ryobi and will remove a lot more defects. The Flex 3401 is really what you need with a VW though. Your paint is like a freaking rock and the Flew is nearly as powerful as a rotary.

18. deusexaethera

If VW paint is like a freaking rock, I'd sure like to know why I keep getting chips in the paint on the hood...but that's neither here nor there.

I hadn't considered the torque that a more expensive buffer could provide; I guess I always assumed I'd want a gentle touch, but I suppose when trying to alter the paint instead of just waxing it, it helps to have some muscle.

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you'll get better results with better products. mother's ,in my book, is for the guy that paid for the $2000 maaco job and think it looks show winning killer with the chrome sawblades and big tires on his 1994 Chevy 1500 Stepside.

and you get chips because rocks > paint, even being that hard. it's just tough to properly correct.

20. Scottwax

A rotary has significantly more torque than any orbital but it does an amazing job removing defects and leaving a really nice finish when used properly.

21. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

serious?

they had the 1.8T golf engine didn't they

22. deusexaethera

Yes, I'm serious; it's chipped and I installed a manual boost controller behind the ECU boost controller to add +3psi to whatever the ECU says is good. I did that because the ECU program I have holds off on the boost so it can fire it off all at once and make the car leap forward, which is great, except I didn't like it. The +3psi rounds off the edges nicely, so it feels a lot more like a N/A V6 than a turbo four. Now if only the car didn't weigh so much that it gets 17mpg in-city...

And yes, there was a 1.8t engine in the GTI and the Jetta. The main difference is the Passat's 1.8t is longitudinal, because it's based on an AWD platform.

23. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

So how much power do you have now?

24. deusexaethera

I dunno, it wasn't worth getting it dynoed. Probably around 210hp/225ft-lb, or thereabouts. The chip by itself is good for 50hp/75ft-lb, on a stock 150/150 engine. It moves okay, it passes well, it gets 32mpg on the highway.

25. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

take that performance bullshit elsewhere