GUN police shoot womans dog while serving warrent for man already in jail

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 21, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

www.mtdemocrat.com/articles/2006/05/19/news/page_one/d1705_n2.txt

May 17, 2006- Police kill dog in failed arrest attempt

By Eric Laughlin, Democrat staff writer

The attempted arrest of a Placerville man already serving time in a state prison ended in tragedy when a woman's dog was shot and killed by Placerville police officers Saturday night.

While attempting to arrest Gary J. Masse, 36, on a May 11 warrant issued by Amador County, police officers stormed the Green Wing Lane residence of his girlfriend, Dena Perez, 29, at around 7:30 p.m., and shot Perez' 6-year-old rottweiler “Harley” in the back yard.

Masse, who has been serving time at Deuel Vocational Institution in Tracy since last month, had been previously arrested by Placerville police officers on April 4 relating to a parole violation.

When two officers and a police dog proceeded to search the back yard of the residence (no one was home at the time), they were confronted by a vicious and aggressive dog, said Police Chief George Nielsen.

“The dog was attacking our officers and a K-9 unit,” Nielsen told the Mountain Democrat yesterday. “After failed attempts by officers to pepper spray the dog and to retreat, they were forced to shoot the dog for their own safety.” Neither the police officer nor the police dog was injured, Nielsen said.

Neighbor Natalia Masters said her encounters with Harley were nothing but friendly.

“He was a very nice dog,” she said. “He would come up to me wagging his tail and wanting to be pet.”

“That dog was my whole life,” Perez said. “I can't have children and he was my baby, he went everywhere with me. I don't understand why they even came here in the first place - they didn't do their homework or they would have known Gary wasn't here.”

Nielsen said the judge-issued warrant was a message to his department to search for Masse, and that his department lacked the resources to determine whether or not he was already incarcerated.

“If he would have been incarcerated in the greater Sacramento area, we could have made the connection a lot easier. That is the generally the area we check,” Nielsen said.

When Perez and a friend arrived at her residence Saturday night they were met by several officers who asked the whereabouts of her boyfriend.

“We must have told them the same thing over and over for nearly half an hour,” Perez said. “We kept telling them that he wasn't here and hadn't been here, and that he was in prison in Tracy. Then after 20 to 30 minutes, one of them said, oh and by the way, we shot your dog.”

Perez said that she then ran to the back yard where the animal was still clinging to life, and barely able to walk.

“I had my baby in my arms and I was covered with blood,” she said. “I didn't know what to do and when I asked the officers to help me they just stood there and didn't say anything. Eventually I loaded him into the SUV on my own, while they just stood there watching.”

“I feel that the officers were as assistive as they could have been,” Nielsen said in response. “They drove her to the vet, so you can draw your own conclusions from that.”

After being hospitalized for about 48 hours, Harley died at a Sacramento area veterinary hospital.

“I just feel sick,” Perez said. “I haven't even been able to eat. It just sickens me that they did this to me. It's not like they don't know me - I wait on them every day at the restaurant.”

Perez said she is familiar with several of the officers through her employment as a waitress at Mel's on Main Street.

“I went up to Christian (officer Christian Byers) and said, Christian why did you do this to me? He couldn't even face me, he had tears in his eyes and wouldn't even look at me,” she said.

“All of this just really distorts my view of these guys,” said Sheri Martinez, 28, Placerville, the friend who was with Perez at the time. “I've raised my son to respect law enforcement but when I see such a different side of them, it becomes very confusing. And I wish I had a camera to record all of them standing there laughing and being so rude to the neighbors.”

Another issue troubling Perez is the unexplained disappearance of the “Beware of Dog” sign that she and other witnesses said was posted on the gate in the area where the dog was shot.

Nielsen said he had no knowledge of any kind of sign warning of the presence of a dog.

“By our accounts, officers tried to determine whether or not there was a dog in the back yard,” he said. “They had no knowledge of a dog being there when they cracked open the gate.”

An investigation by the Mountain Democrat revealed evidence in the way of white plastic triangles and staples that suggested that there had been a sign on the gate at some point.

Nielsen said that no disciplinary action against the officer who fired the shots is planned. He added that neither of the two officers nor the police dog, a Belgian Malinois, was injured in the incident.

The case was still under investigation as of yesterday, according to Placerville police Capt. Mike Scott.

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Man that would piss me the fuck off.

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

fucking beauracracies :mad:

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

And LEOs wonder why so many people HATE COPS. I hope that woman sues the fuck out of them and wins bigtime.

5. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

This is why more police need Tazers. Just tazer the fuck out of the dog, dont shoot it.

6. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

So according to the police chief the dog was "vicious and aggressive" and attacking the officers, but none of them were injured? How the hell can you be attacked by a 6 year old rottweiler and not be injured?

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I think the woman has more of a case for the actual warrant being issued on a man who was ALREADY in the custody of the agency serving the warrant. When you serve a warrant and there are large dogs roaming free in an area you need to control during the serving of the warrant, they get shot. This is a common practice. Unfortunately, the reason people HAVE large, loud, mean-looking dogs is the same reason that cops shoot them upon sight when serving a warrant. It sucks, but it's not uncommon.

Many departments still do not HAVE Tasers, and you can't rely on anything else but a bullet to stop some large, aggressive dogs. The officers may have been surprised by the dog if there was no sign posted anymore, and even if the dog wasn't aggressive toward people normally, the presence of another dog may have really set it off.

Like I said, the root of the problem is that they served a warrant on a man who was already in custody. That's fucking retarded.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I hope the judge is held accountable as well.

9. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Pepper spray doesn't do shit on dogs but they make an OC spray just for animals. Police need to start equipping themselves with the proper tools. One hit from a dog repellant and there wouldn't have been a need to shoot the dog. I would start filing animal cruelty charges on the department and any other department that doesn't bother buying a 10 dollar can of dog repellant for raids like this.

10. san408

san408 New Member

As far as the dog goes, those asses sat out there and asked her questions that entire time while the dog they shot was still alive? I hope she gets a huge settlement from this thing.

11. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I would have a very hard time not shooting their dog. Thats just bull shit. Several witness saying there was a sign that warned of the dog. Witness saying the dog was friendly, Guy being in jail for a month already. They deserve to be fucking shot. Jesus I repsct police but shit like this just makes me so angry.

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I understand WHY they shot the dog, but it sucks for the dog that they didn't do their research

13. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

Pepper spray is used on dogs successfully quite often. Once in a while it doesn't work, my buddy had a poodle lick the stuff up, but normally they wimper off.

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

fixed. What kind of cocksucker just sits and lets a dog whimper and bleed? I would have been knee deep in someones ass for that shit. If, to accomplish your mission, you need to put down a dog, do it, but DON'T FUCKING HALF ASS IT. Christ. What kind of goddam idiots does Cali have to produce to get people to act on their own behalf??