GUN Police shoot dog after responding to false alarm

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Police shoot dog after responding to false alarm

05:15 PM CDT on Monday, April 14, 2008

WWLTV.com

New Orleans police responding to a tripped burglar alarm shot and killed a man’s Doberman dog in Lakeview early Monday.

A police spokesman said Dr. Patrick Coleman’s two dogs charged at the officers when they responded to the alarm and that they shot the four-year-old black Doberman named Jax to halt the threat. The officers were in Coleman’s back yard when the incident occurred. Eight shell casings were found near the scene.

Coleman said the dead dog was ‘sweet and cuddly,’ but that he also was recovering from recent surgery and unlikely to be a threat as he could barely walk and had an eight-inch incision down his neck.

“They came out saying they shot my dog, that it was him or them,” said Dr. Coleman. “My male dog had spine surgery a month ago and could barely walk. This was the third day he was out of a kennel. I was carrying him in and out to go to the bathroom and had to carry him down the stairs.”

According to Coleman, the alarm tripped when his dog went through the doggie door in the back yard. He said when he received the call from the alarm company, his dog was already dead.

“It shouldn’t be what they do,” he said. “You’re in my yard. You’ve come to a false alarm and now you’ve executed my dog who’s post-surgical and can barely walk.”

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

jobs should be lost.

3. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

Yesterday someones cat is killed by a mortar round, and today police shoot a crippled dog just out of surgery :rofl:

4. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

That has got to be the fastest response time ever. How did the cops get there and shot the dog before the alarm company called homeboy?

5. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

No :ugh:

6. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

:werd: They call me within 30 seconds of my alarm going off. And they always call me before they call the cops

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Seems like you shouldn't ask the police to come to your place then complain about them coming to your place.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I wonder if they wrote him a citation for the false alarm.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

BAH! Stupid Youtube avs! :madfawk:

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

new orleans for the mother fucking lose

11. SinisterHand

SinisterHand Active Member

:coolugh:

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That's some rookie shit. In many places cops are slow to respond to residental alarms because of all the false alarms. They usually insist that the alarm company call first to check on a false alarm before they even respond. Maybe the cops just are not very busy in that town.

They usually try the front door first instead of immediately jumping to the backyard. If checking the backyard they should know there is a chance for dogs and be prepared with pepper spray.

Sounds to me the training is inadequate at that PD.

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

It appears as though he didn't.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What the fuck is with all the rude ass motherfuckers in womd?

If you have an alarm setup so the police are notified when it goes off, the alarm goes off and the police come you asked the police to come to place. Maybe not directly at that moment but you set up the system. If you don't want the police in your yard because your alarm goes off get rid of the alarm.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Before this thing gets all out of control like it always does on the net, there is nothing wrong with having an alarm. You can have an alarm and the cops should still not go in your back yard and shoot your dog.

There is a procedure when responding to an alarm. It usually involves checking with the alarm company, then going and ringing the doorbell. If going in the back yard the cops should be prepared to deal with dogs with less than lethal force.

Back in my college days the cops responded to our frat house fire alarm which malfuntioned and sent out a burgular alarm signal. No there was no fire, it was a strait up silent malfuntion. Our house dog had the cops cornered down the hall. The cops had pepper spray out and when I came downstairs they said if I was 2 seconds late the dog would of gotten pepper sprayed. granted there was no doorbell to ring, the doors are always unlocked, and there is a "beware of dog" sign at the front gate.

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

For once in a situation like this, I really can't blame the cop. He responded to the correct address that he was given by an alarm system indicating a break-in. He responded thinking there was a burglary in progress and saw a dog that has a stereotype of being a guard dog. He may very well have been trained that such dogs are a threat and they are to be treated as such. However 8 shots to kill a dog that "can barely walk" is either poor shooting or that dog was moving quicker than the owner claims. If the details are correct, I am going to have to say most of the blame for this situation arising lays with the monitoring company and there slow response time. I am not saying I approve of the training to kill dogs. This was simply a tragic situation, where everyone was behaving correctly for what they believed was going on based on the information they had.

Here in Florida it is required that the alarm company confirm that there is actually an intruder before the police will respond, though I do not know what level of confirmation is required.

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I have the utmost respect for police. I do not think they responded correctly. I don't know how it is in other PD's but it is not taught here to shoot first at dogs. Less than lethal force is the first option.

I also do not know how other PD's are trained but going into the back yard unless a warrent is being served is only done after checking the front door.

Unless a lot of facts are omitted I think the training is seriously lacking at that PD.

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

whoops somehow I overlooked the backyard bit when I read it.

Taking that into account, I would agree that something is either left out of the story or wrong. A knock at the door and announcing their presence should have concluded this prior to being in the back yard.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Of course, and what should be obvious is that there are two sides to every story. Womd tends to get a little stupid now and then though. When the media posts something bad about guns they're a bunch of ignorant hacks only telling a sensational story and leaving out the real truth to get more readers. They won't consider for a second that something as incredible sounding as police shooting a sick dog that can barely move is nothing less than the truth printed by jesus himself. Its strange that when someone says little fuquon was an angel that just loved basketball and got along with everyone they call shenanigans but if they read that police raped infants and then ate their corpses they'd buy it 100%.

Guy, most of what you read/hear/see on the news is inaccurate. Its written by someone who likely knows little about what they're talking about in too short a time span to make anything good and ultimately was created with bias and for the purpose of selling product. The more outraged you are after reading something, the less likely it is true. The more improbable something sounds, the more improbable it is.

While everyone has taken the pet's owner's story as gospel no one seems to be considering other options. Has anyone considered how aggressive and territorial sick or injured animals can be among possible explinations that might be more plausible?

Quite possibly some of both but also remember that things don't usually stop/die immediately when shot. This even applies to dogs.

20. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Trigger happy cops, hope they get fired.

21. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

:bowdown: Spot on.

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

This is an excellent post.
    :wavey:

23. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NOPD Superintendent To Order Second Look At Dog Death
    April 16, 2008

Lakeview — Superintendent Warren Riley wants the New Orleans Police Department's Public Integrity Bureau to review Monday's killing of the doberman, Jax, shot by a cop responding to a false burglar alarm at a Lakeview house, according to Deputy Chief, Malon DeFillo.

Jax's veterinary surgeon, Dr. Rose Lemarie, performed a spine operation on him just over a month ago, and says when he was shot he was a quadplegic. Though he could walk, "his ability to charge or lunge at someone would not be there," said Lamarie.

From his front lawn today, Jax's owner, Dr. Patrick Coleman, the Humane Society of Louisiana and supporters announced they want better training for cops who encounter dogs.

The SPCA says eight shots were fired during monday's encounter.

Coleman's lawyer says he plans bring in a ballistics expert to determine trajectory.

Humane Society Director, Jeff Dorsen, says at his organization's expense, he wants to fly in experts in dog-attack training to teach NOPD cops.

24. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I have a hard time believing the cop walked up to an injured dog that could barely walk and shot it 8 times just for the hell of it.

25. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

If there is a doberman in the back yard, I think it would be safe to assume a possible burglar would either still be in the house or coming out the front door. The cops should use a guard dog in the back yard to their advantage.