GUN Police say "Road Rage" possibly influenced a woman’s decision to shoot a motorcyclist

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jun 18, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Police say "Road Rage" possibly influenced a woman’s decision to shoot a motorcyclist in the chest
    http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11_topstory_080617_shooting.11dad06f.html
    11:40 PM EDT on Tuesday, June 17, 2008
    [​IMG]
    (WHAS11) - Jeffersonville police say road rage may have led to a shooting. A woman in an SUV and a man on a motorcycle engaged in some sort of disagreement while driving along 10th Street. Police say she put an end to it when she shot him in the chest.
    Watch this story

“She has been very cooperative and given us voluntary statements. She says her actions were in self defense,” said Detective Todd Hollis.

Witnesses told police some sort of exchange happened between the two a mile away from the intersection of 10th St. and Allison Lane. But they kept driving until they got to the stop light. He hopped off his bike, approached her car and shortly thereafter she shot him.”

“We did not find any weapons on him. He stopped his motorcycle and immediately got off and approached her door. He may have opened the door. She never got out and that’s when the shooting occurred,” said Hollis.

Witnesses told police the whole incident took about 10 seconds. The driver stayed and called 9-1-1. Within three minutes police were on the scene trying to figure out what happened.

“There was some immediate aggression on his part when he got of his bike. What his actions were and how threatening they were we’re not sure. We’ll have to determine that in our investigation.”

The motorcyclist underwent surgery and remains in the hospital. Doctors say he’ll likely survive the shooting. Police haven’t had an opportunity to get his side of the story yet. But at this point, police haven’t filed any charges against the woman.

“We’ve been in touch with Clark County prosecutor’s office and they have made the decision to withhold their decision pending our investigation.”
    ----

Probably all the womans fault.

2. Satanic Goatslayer

Satanic Goatslayer New Member

She probably cut him off or almost ran into him, then flipped him off when he spazzed out about it, and when he got off the bike I'm sure he simply wanted to tell her what a dumb cunt she was.

I hope she goes to jail.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd:

4. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

That'd be my guess.

5. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Yep, people still get pissed off at lane splitting. It should be his legal right to slap some sense into her with an open hand :mamoru:

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

doesn't fucking matter what she did or he did driving if no contact happened and no accident occured. If he cut her off or she cut him off, that should have been the end of it. period.

The moment he got off his bike though and came at her vehicle, he escalated the situation and it now goes from yelling/gesturing to physical threat and she had the right to defend herself if she felt she was in danger of bodily harm or death.

So depending on what he did (ie. he hit the door or grabbed the handle) she was in her right to blow him away.

So remember this if you get pissed off at a driver and decide to get off your bike (or get out of your car) and get in someone's face for something that you could have just as easily shaken your head at in disgust and rode away from, you could get your ass shot for aggressive or threatening actions.

7. Satanic Goatslayer

I have mixed feelings on lane splitting. I got my first bike when I was living in CA and when I moved back east I had a hard time not lane splitting. It is awesome when traffic is coming to a standstill and you want to keep moving (especially when its hot and you're wearing full gear), but also dangerous.

8. Satanic Goatslayer

Well we haven't heard his side of the story yet. I have to agree that getting off the bike and walking up to her car could be construed as threatening, but for all we know she may have been trying to run his ass over.

I was in the right lane coming off a light one time with a female passenger taking a casual ride at night, doing the speed limit and "behaving." Some fucking ricer stayed up my ass for 1/2 mile for no reason at all. When I say up my ass he was maybe 3 feet behind me and I was going 45mph. There was no reason he couldn't get in the left lane and go around me and I had done nothing to provoke the situation.

When he finally did get in the left lane he floored it and then blew a red light that I stopped for. Had he of stopped at the light I don't know what I would've done, maybe something like this guy did. I do remember that I was furious at the fact that he was not only endangering me but also my passenger.

It'll be interesting to hear this guy's side of the story and see how this develops.

9. I like the wheels on the SUV.

10. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

I tend to agree. He got off the bike and approached her. It isnt hard to imagine her feeling threatened.

:werd:

Plus, you arent going to "educate" or influence anyone to drive better by acting like a jackass.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

So what? he was 3 feet off your bumper. Did he hit you?
    It's the same situation. Had you gotten out of your car and been aggressive towards the rider, YOU would be escalating the situation.
    Up until then, he was just riding your ass but had done nothing physical to your or your vehicle and you could have just as easily ignored him and if he rear ends you, it's his fault.

12. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

This is why I will never mess with people in traffic. If someone cuts me off, I'll slow down, if someone is tailgating me I'll move over or do my best to let them pass me. Messing around in traffic is like playing with a loaded gun, it's dumb and only leads to people getting hurt or killed.

Not too long ago there was a lady where I live that had just given birth and got involved in road rage. Had someone tailgating her and she got mad when they passed her so she decided to pass them and ended up losing control of the vehicle and dying. It's just not worth it.

If someone got out of their car and came up to mine I'd definitely have my gun unholstered because I have no idea what they plan on doing.

13. Laurel

Laurel New Member

In a case like this, regardless of what she did, he shouldn't have gotten off his bike. She had the right to protect herself, but should have made shooting him a final possibility, and said something like "you coming up to my door makes me feel like I need to protect myself."

14. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

That title what written to give you the wrong impression. :squint:

15. 4fifths

4fifths God of Bartons

Who cares if someone cut somebody else off....someone walks up to my car yelling at me and opens the door they'll probably get shot too.

16. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

I'm sure she'll get the book thrown at her. a guy getting off a bike doesn't constitute a threat. she should have just driven off.

17. Satanic Goatslayer

He wasn't 3 feet off my bumper, he was 3 feet from my back tire. I was on a motorcycle, not in a car. Maybe I should have stated that in my post but I thought it was implied well enough.

Its a completely different world when you're on a motorcycle as opposed to a car. You ride as if no one can see or hear you and they're all trying to kill you. All it would take is a tap to a rear tire and you'd be sliding down the road with a car possibly running your ass over next.

I thought about snapping the throttle and walking away from him but did not for a few reasons:

- I had a passenger and wasn't about to endanger her.

- I was in an unfamiliar area and had seen quite a number of cops cruising around. I seriously doubt a cop would've believed I was hauling ass down the road just to get some guy off my ass.

- Finally, it has been my experience while on a motorcycle that when douchebags are trying to get you to race them and you pull away from them they continue to try and get you to race.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Sorry, I thought you were in a car.
    I've had similar things like that happen too. If it happens to anyone else, try to gain space, but not by snapping the throttle to see if you can gain distance. Most of the time, people tailgate because they want you out of the way so they can go faster. Let them.
    pull off the street or into the other lane or shoulder and see if they pass.
    Find a cop and flag them down. Riding someone's ass is illegal.

I've had to use the last one once before because some jerk thought the girl on the back of my bike was his girlfriend (it was my fiancee).
    I pulled into the police station parking lot and like a dumbass he followed me in.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

actually yes, it can constitute a threat. If a man approaches the car in an angry or aggressive manner, that is a threat, especially to a female.

If he happened to hit her SUV or even do something as stupid as grab for the door handle, then that's definitely a threat.

20. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

shouldnt it be a deadly threat for the use of deadly force. Someone can bang their fist on my truck all they want. Im not gonna shoot them for it.

Either way, he shouldnt have gotten off the bike. In this day and age, walking up to a stranger in a car and starting shit= really fucking stupid.

21. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Glass breaker + CS canister in the now open window :o

22. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Being both a gun owner and having owned a bike, I'm a bit torn on this one.
    I agree with the concesus that she more than likely cut him off or almost ran into him. But even so, that would never constitute the right of the bike rider to get off his bike and approach the offending vehicle. You're always better off, as the bike rider, to just get out of the situation as quickly as possible, preferrably alive, and call police on her instead.

Obviously he tried to take matters into his own hands and got bit. Shitty situation for the both of them.
    Hot heads never prevail.

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

no, most states it's the "threat of death OR serious bodily harm to you or others" that justifies the use of deadly force.

24. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Biker deserved it.

25. johnson

johnson New Member

:o

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11_topstory_080617_shooting.11dad06f.html

(WHAS11) - New details continue to emerge about the Jeffersonville road rage shooting that happened on Wednesday.

The victim has had trouble with the law before. And one key element police are waiting for is the shooting victim’s side of the story. He’s still at University Hospital, recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest. Doctors performed another surgery Thursday morning.

While everyone waits to hear what he has to say, WHAS has found out more about the pasts of both the victim and the shooter.

Police show that Mosier, the victim, faced murder charges back in 1973, but pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact. And in 2006, Mosier filed a lawsuit claiming a man hit his car and his person for no reason. The defendant paid Mosier $3,100.

And Jeffersonville police say Parrish, the shooter, doesn’t have a criminal record, but she called in another road rage incident on March 31 of this year.

Clark county prosecutors say they’ll know Monday whether Parrish will face charges in Wednesday’s shooting. Police say Mosier did not have a weapon when Parrish shot him. Mosier’s attorney says because Mosier was unarmed, Parrish was the clear aggressor.

Witnesses say both Parrish and Mosier had the opportunity to diffuse the situation. And one witness said that after Mosier was shot, Parrish’s son taunted and kicked the man while he was down.

The public is finally hearing from the alleged shooter about witness statements regarding what happened after the shooting. So WHAS asked, was taunting involved after Wesley Mosier was shot?

Yalanda Parrish gave a handwritten statement to Christopher 2x regarding the shooting. In it, Yalanda says she’s “deeply saddened about the incident. The incident should never have manifested itself to this level.”

She says her attorney has advised her not to say too much about what caused the event.

In regards to witness statements that her son taunted and kicked Wesley Mosier when he was down, she says he’s 15 and was in an emotional state of mind, but she should’ve kept her son in the car.

Clark Co. Prosecutor, Steven Stewart, says he’ll know Monday if he’ll press charges in this case.

Web story update published by Chris Wright

(WHAS11) - WHAS 11 News is learning more about what Jeffersonville Police Det. Todd Hollis calls “a road rage incident that escalated out of control.” The incident happened at 10th Street and Allison Lane in front of the Thornton’s Gas Station. Wednesday, WHAS 11 News heard the 911 tape from the incident.

Yolanda Parrish to 911 Dispatch: "I have shot somebody up here on 10th street! I'm in front of Thornton's!"

That's part of 39 year old Yolanda Parrish’s frantic 911 call after she says she shot Wesley Mosier junior Tuesday afternoon.

Jeffersonville police say the shooting ended a mile long road rage exchange between Mosier -- who was riding his motorcycle -- and Parrish who was driving an SUV. A witness says she before the shooting, she initially thought Mosier approached Parrish because the two had a fender bender.

"He got off his bike, walked up to the car, she said, 'oh no you don't' and she shot him point blank in the chest.", said the witness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But according to the witness, the violence doesn't stop there. Several witnesses told police Parrish’s 15 year old son taunted Mosier as he laid in the street with a gunshot wound to his chest. And witness statements conflict over whether Mosier opened Parrish’s car door, or Parrish opened the door to shove Mosier away from her. The other question -- why Mosier approached Parrish’s car.

"Only he knows why he got off his bike in traffic. It's something we hope he'll be able to answer,” said Det. Hollis.

Mosier is still in University Hospital listed in serious condition. Doctors expect he’ll survive the shooting. At this point, Parrish doesn't face any charges, though this witness says she should. Parrish told Detective Hollis she keeps a gun in her car for her protection. He says, legally she has the right to do so. She had a permit for the weapon on her when police arrived at the scene. Witnesses claim Parrish could have avoided the situation by driving away or rolling up her window and locking her doors. But she told police, she had no other choice but to defend herself.

"She said, she couldn't go... her window was down and door unlocked. She opened the door to push him backward. She said he shoved the door shut. She said he had his fist raised,” said Det. Hollis.