GUN Police plan arrest of rifle-toting man

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jul 17, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/118466401148560.xml&coll=3
    Police plan arrest of rifle-toting man
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007
    By RON COLQUITT
    Staff Reporter

Mobile police said they plan to arrest a man today who scared people Friday evening as he walked through a Spring Hill neighborhood with a loaded, semiautomatic AK-47-style rifle.

Officers confiscated the rifle Friday but could not take the man into custody until they had a warrant signed by both a magistrate and the man who made the complaint, Mobile police spokesman Officer Eric Gallichant said.

Gallichant said that on Monday, a magistrate signed a warrant for a charge of disorderly conduct, and officers expected to obtain the signature of one of the witnesses today. Once that is done, the man will be arrested, he said.

Gallichant said, however, that he would not release the man's name Monday because officers had not yet obtained the second signature needed to activate the warrant.

While it is not illegal to carry an assault rifle, it is against the law to use the gun to alarm people, Gallichant said.

"I think it is important that people understand that although he may not be specifically charged with carrying a weapon out in the open like that, just the act of doing so can cause public alarm, which is covered by disorderly conduct," Gallichant said.

"Carrying one around in that manner in the neighborhood, even though he did not point it at someone, is not to be taken lightly."

The man who had the gun lives on Oakwood Lane, Gallichant said.

Jeferey Quinelly, another Spring Hill resident, filed the complaint and most likely will be the person to sign the arrest warrant, Gallichant said.

Spring Hill resident Sean P. Costello said the man, who is in his early 20s, was spotted by several people about 6 p.m. Friday, walking along Oakwood and Dilston lanes.

Costello said Monday that he did not see the man, but two of his neighbors and his gardener did. He said that although no one saw the man point the rifle at anyone, people were frightened. He said the gardener, who had just started cutting the grass, was so frightened that he fled without finishing the job.

Costello said the whole incident frightened his 4-year-old daughter.

Even though the man didn't threaten anyone or point the rifle at them, such incidents can lead to violence, Costello said.

"When you've got someone walking up and down the street with a loaded assault rifle ... there is always the possibility that it can get out of hand, and people can get hurt," he said.

Larry McCoy, owner of Larry's Gun Shop in the 2700 block of Pleasant Valley Road just off Government Boulevard, said Monday that he sells a Romanian-made, AK-47-style weapon for $400.

McCoy said federal law states that a person 18 or older who is not a convicted felon can legally purchase a semiautomatic assault rifle.

Anyone who meets the federal requirements can be in and out of his shop within 10 minutes, armed with an AK-47-style weapon and bullets.

McCoy said, however, that he will not sell an assault rifle to anyone under 21 because he does not believe a teenager is mature enough to handle such a weapon. He said the Spring Hill incident disturbs him.

"It is not socially acceptable," McCoy said. "You just don't do that."

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

honestly, that part of the article pisses me off the most. Asshole deserves a firebomb through the fucking window. I don't care if you don't think it is socially acceptable, but if you are going to trust an 18 year old with every thing else, why not a fucking WASR.

3. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Same reason some motorcycle salesmen refuse to sell a GSXR1000 to a 17
    year old. The mindset of the individual may not be compatible with the
    responsibility of owning the product. I'm ambivalent about it really, but it's
    his opinion, his shop, and his decision to make.

Plus it sounds good to be quoted as saying that in the article.

4. essejgnad

essejgnad poopty pangts

No 17 year old needs a 1000, let alone a 600. No 18 year old needs an AK.

5. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

shut the fuck up. i got my first AR when i was 16. kthnx bye

6. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If the shop owner wants to lose business by not selling to someone that is legally responsible for anything that he does with the weapon then that's his personal choice. As far as someone walking down the street with an AK strapped to his back I could see how that would alarm some people. Whether it's technically legal to do it or not they will still find a way to hammer your ass if they feel like it. Sometimes you just have to use common sense.

7. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

It doesn't say where he was going with it?

8. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Why does it also not say what he was actually do to scare people?
    Just walking around with a gun scared people and now its public disorder?

Maybe the rest of the citizenry need to stop being such flaming faggots.

9. Slick26

Of course carrying around a gun is going to scare people. Everything scares people.
    But its not illegal.

10. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

+1

I wouldn't do it, but still...

11. Slick26

Oh I totally agree. The guy's a dumbass and has no common sense, but I'm failing to see where he broke the law here.
    Even the police said that's not technically against the law. :greddy:

Also, they're so quick to note that it was a loaded AK-47.... but how does anyone walking or driving the streets know that?
    MAYBE the guy just bought it and was walking home with it. I hate stupid people. ON BOTH SIDES.

12. t1h

t1h Guest

i'd get the person complaining charged with disorderly conduct the next time they drive their car. i mean cars can kill people too.

and i think its bullshit, i don't see how he was trying to cause anyone panic. i hope a judge throws it.

13. McCroskey

for the record, this guy is one of my heroes....and probably the most hated
    man on the planet. A bike rider with an AK. "When you absolutely, positively,
    gotta kill every motherfucker in a room, while you're doing a wheelie, AK47
    on your Honda."

[​IMG]

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Personally, I don't see why the law differentiates b/w open carry of pistols and open carry of rifles. If you are going to allow one, allow both.

15. t1h

t1h Guest

so by the police interpretation, if someone was open carrying, and that "frightened" someone, that person open carrying could be charged with disturbing the peace? :confused:

16. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

yes

17. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

:rofl: Richk where was that picture taken?

18. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

This bothers me because, say just carrying your rifle out to your car alarmed some pansy ass enough to call the cops. The law in their eyes would call that justification for an arrest. I think a huge ass black dude walkin down my street without a shirt on would scare my neighbors more. I love how that guy is trying turn his 4 year old into some traumatized victim.

OMG you can buy a gun AND bullets???!!!!111

I bought my AK when I was 18. Not everyone is irresponsible at that age. I just turned 21 and have never even had a speeding ticket and I drive a 12 second car everyday. (not tryin to brag lol)

Oh and the pic above kicks ass.

19. McCroskey

:dunno:

20. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

stick a wooden dowel down your dickhole you faggot

21. essejgnad

essejgnad poopty pangts

I just might.

22. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

dont forget the pics, twat waffle

23. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I;m not anti gun but If i saw someone walking around my neighborhood with an AK I would have my AR sites on his head while calling the police.

I see no reason to patrol with a rifle. This isnt the wild west. There hasnt been a shot fired in my police district in 5 years and seeing something like that would have me concerned.

As far as im concerned, its disorderly! It has nothing to do with age. He could be 18 or 99 its all the same to me

24. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

carrying an AK and waving an ak to scare people are two different things.

25. Slick26

Yeah exactly, that's the point here.
    Transporting your rifle from one place to another, and brandishing with intent to disrupt public safety are completely different.
    And of course the problem here is, how do the police determine what really happened. We have a very skittish public in this country. Anything scares them.
    Parents think their children are scarred for life if they witness a gun in person.