GUN Police paid to hunt deer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Town uses detectives to cull deer
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2007/12/04/town_uses_detectives_to_cull_deer/1415/
    Published: Dec. 4, 2007 at 10:12 PM

SMITHFIELD, N.C., Dec. 4 (UPI) -- Police in a North Carolina town are engaged in their second deer hunt, an effort to reduce the wildlife population in an upscale neighborhood.

Three detectives armed with hunting rifles and silencers were patrolling town-owned woods in South Smithfield, The Raleigh News & Sentinel reported. Last year, police killed 25 deer in the neighborhood.

Most residents support the hunt, anxious to keep the deer away from their shrubs.

Using police detectives was adopted by the town as a substitute for a general hunt. Local officials decided that allowing anyone with a hunting license to open fire was too risky.

But some are unhappy. Jim Wilson owns 30 acres in the area.

"They're supposed to be fighting criminals, not pansy-eaters," he said of the police, the newspaper reported.

Joe Folta, a biologist with the state Wildlife Resources Commission, said he had recommended bringing in bow hunters or sharpshooters. But he said the police detectives, while not a method used by any other town, would do the job.

----

Wonder if they get to keepem too.

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It'd make more sense to sell some quotas to bow hunters. County makes money, not spends it.

3. Werm

Werm Guest

That's ridiculous that they won't allow hunters a chance...

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

The article doesn't do a good job of describing how the city owned chunk of land is situated, my guess is since it is only 30 acres and the dear are eating people shrubs, it may very well be in the middle of suburbia. If thats the case it may be affected by laws regarding the discharge of a fire arm within city limits or within such a distance of a dwelling. Though I would trust most hunter's shot over a police officer's.

5. Werm

Werm Guest

It just says "But some are unhappy. Jim Wilson owns 30 acres in the area." so it's not just 30 acres. It also says "Local officials decided that allowing anyone with a hunting license to open fire was too risky." like your general population isn't as smart as police.

The biologist also recommended bringing in bowhunters... if they're that worried about "slack jawed" citizens just make it bowhunting only.

I bet most, if not all, of that meat went to waste. What a shame...

6. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Major liability issue with allowing general hunts in a populated area like that. I would hope the police that are hunting are skilled hunters....

It is cool to see police forces thinking outside of the box though. :cool:

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

If they won't let bow hunters do it then the neighborhoods should be restricted to planting bushes that the deer would normally eat anyway. Just consider them part of the landscape.

Sounds like a job I would be excellent at.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

What a great job :bowdown:

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Based on the cops I've seen at my range (and how much they suck at shooting), I'd much rather have a bunch of average Joe hunters out there instead of cops.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes. It's amazing how poorly many cops shoot.... How did they ever pass the quals?

11. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Cities are desperate. :hs: