A&P police harrassment update: v.fuckthosetrains

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Apr 26, 2007.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I talked to the port authority public safety commissioner today...

She said she'd give me the authority to shoot the trains, but it will take 2-3 weeks to verify my status as a photography student and process the paperwork.

Fuck that noise. I don't have 2-3 weeks.

If I was really determined or excited to shoot the trains, I'd fight, but i'm not.

Now, before you guys start yelling at me for not adding this to the other topic, let me explain.

This topic isn't meant to discuss whether or not I should pursue my right to shoot there. I'm over it. I just want to get through this class. I don't care about the trains.

What I need from you guys, is a new idea on what to shoot. This class is a thesis/portfolio class. I need to give an outline of my goals and aim, then shoot towards that goal. I will need ~1200 pics, and 15 portfolio prints in 12 weeks.

There are no limitations to my subject matter. All I ask is that your ideas are possible for a person working 50 hours per week and taking another, similar photo class simultaneously...

Thanks!!

2. Blair

Blair New Member

homeless, autos, food, couples

just what came to mind

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Does it have to be 1 subject/theme? Give an example of what your goal was with the train shoot.

4. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

yes

5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Having been in a great variety of industrial settings, I can tell you that a foundry would be simply the best place to shoot. I've snapped some shots when doing work before, but unfortunately they're among the thousands of pictures I lost when I got a new pc and things got corrupted in the process. The stark contrast of the glowing molten steel against the grit and dirt of the equipment and men working, the dim lights covered with a sheen of foundry dust... if you have a foundry in your area you should talk to them.

6. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

If possible, shoot first, ask questions later.

There's a HUGE train yard behind my house and I've been waiting for a day with a nice cloudy sunset to go over there and shoot some trains. I would be tresspassing and I GUESS be breaking a law by photographing at a "port"...

But most likely a low-wage working who doesn't give a shit will just tell me to leave without contacting any authorities.

7. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

couple things which come to mind: local business owners [shots of them and their place], abandoned buildings [lost of fun if you want to take pics inside, though not exactly legal].

the business one was done by a classmate of mine, came out well. my friend and i did the abandoned buildings. you can get some awesome shots if you go inside he buildings.

8. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

if you have to get on a message board and ask what to shoot, then you obviously aren't creative enough to be taking photography seriously.

Sorry man :sadwavey:

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm not looking for ideas on the specific shot, just for the broad topic...

getting input from other photographers /= lack of creativeness.

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

as far as ideas on the trains, here was my origional plan -

each week I was going to focus on a different aspect of trains and railways. ex: week one I focused on JUST the doors on different commuter trains. From everything to design to function, etc. Week 2 I focused on box car/cargo transport trains. Just their massive size and the engineering that goes into designing a train car that can hold and move that much weight...

Week 3 was going to be the train platforms, how they're designed to hold massive amounts of people, and to create the fastest possible entrances and exits for hundreds of people at the exact same time...

Thats where I got busted.

A few of my other weeks included the train turnstiles, ticket machines, the inside of passenger trains, and the driver/driver controls...

Without permission i'll never get these shots...

So i'm looking for something with the same amount of depth or variety of shooting material, but that is common in a city/suburb setting, and that I won't get shit for shooting...