GUN Police Chief convicted of 3 NFA violations

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 4, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boyce chief convicted; will resign office today

By Abbey Brown • [email protected] • December 4, 2008

Boyce Police Chief Claude Williams was convicted Wednesday on three weapons charges, a conviction his attorney said has a "chilling effect" on law enforcement officers everywhere.
    Advertisement

"This is a ground-breaking case," Williams' attorney Larry English said after the unanimous federal jury verdict was read. "... If any law enforcement officer has an illegal weapon outside of the (police department's evidence room) they are subject to criminal charges."

Williams was found not guilty of two other federal charges -- both of making a false statement to federal agents -- after the three-day trial this week.

Because of his convictions, Williams will resign as Boyce's Police chief and surrender all of his weapons by 5 p.m. today, English said. His bond was continued, and his sentencing is scheduled for March 19 before U.S. District Judge Dee Drell. He faces as many as 30 years in prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney James Cowles Jr. argued in his closing statements that the case was about principles and that no man, even a police chief, is above the law. He stressed that the law is clear that if illegal weapons are taken from a police department's evidence room that "must be" properly registered.

Cowles repeatedly referred to the weapons -- in Williams' case a machine gun, rifle and sawed-off shotgun -- as "inherently dangerous." The M-16 rifle -- .223-caliber machine gun -- was found leaning against the wall of the sunroom in Williams' home during an investigation by the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office Metro Narcotics Unit, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Two other weapons -- a Remington rifle, Targetmaster model 510, .22-caliber with an overall length of less than 26 inches and a barrel of less than 16 inches in length and a Western Arms 12-gauge shotgun with an overall length of 26 inches and a barrel of less than 18 inches -- were found under a broken display case in the back of his personal van, according to the federal indictment. None of the three were registered to him in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

Williams testified that he was unaware of the law requiring the guns be registered and that his home and vehicle were extensions of the police department as he did official police work out of both. He also testified that the weapons were all being used for community outreach and educational programs and weren't in operational use.

"If the weapons were kept in the evidence locker, we wouldn't be here today," Cowles said. "If they are going to be used they have to be registered. That's the law."

English stressed both during his closing arguments and to the media after the trial's conclusion that hundreds of thousands of illegal weapons rest in the hands of law enforcement officers and that those weapons aren't registered.

English described the federal charges as a "witch hunt" against Williams, a man he said was a "hero" and model law enforcement officer.

Williams is scheduled to appear Dec. 15 in 9th Judicial District Court in Alexandria where he has pleaded not guilty to state malfeasance charges. The charges include interfering with criminal prosecution by tampering with drug evidence and not giving the District Attorney's Office at least 117 arrest files.

English said they are filing a continuance in that case where he and Alexandria Attorney Bridgett Brown plan to represent him as well.

=====

What an idiot, hes the chief he could of signed off his own forms and bought the m16 on dept letterhead :ugh:

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

lolz, paperwork is boring

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thanks chief dick

4. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

ohh that .22 is oh-so dangerous. grow a fucking dick.

5. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

think of the children!

6. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

assault .22

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what bro :ugh2: they'll TOTALLY jump out of his window and fuck people up

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i like to play it safe:

[​IMG]

:mamoru:

9. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Another cop who thought gun laws didn't apply to him and he'd be safe from the ATF. :dunno:

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

who the fuck do you think you're fucking with? I'm the police, I run shit around here. King Kong ain't got shit on me.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

who the fuck do you think you are fucking with? i'm the fucking boss. seven forty five white on white thats fucking ross.

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Stop trying to downplay this. That gun was shorter than 26 inches overall and its barrel was shorter than 16 inches, it was clearly made to kill babies.

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) VZW:SCH-i760 PPC 240x320)

I wonder what the real reason was for his house to be searched. I bet some cop with a grudge told on him.

hell hath no fury like a law enforcement officer scorned

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I like that movie.

15. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Inherently

One entry found.

involved in the constitution or essential character of something : belonging by nature or habit

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:rofl:

17. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

All gun control laws are stupid and unconstitutional, but I have to admit I get some pleasure out of this. A lot of cops do tend to think they're above the law, and I'm glad he didn't get special "because he's a cop" treatment.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  18. Joe_Cool

I'd like to know why he had evidence at his house and in his car.

19. smartypants

smartypants New Member

That's the big no-no.

That being the case, I've come home with shit in my pocket by accident.

20. Joe_Cool

:noes: Better be careful.

This wasn't an accident, though. He sounds like he thinks he's entitled to do ... whatever it was that he was doing.

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Sucks that he is getting busted for laws that shouldn't even be on the books, but welcome to how the rest of us live.

22. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

:rofl:

23. Joe_Cool

:werd: And it sucks even more, because the police could be a huge force for good if they collectively threw their support behind gun rights for EVERYBODY. But instead, they always push for special rights for THEM - off duty and retired cops should get to carry, but not regular people - as they hassle us (Soldiers call non-soldiers civilians. What do cops call non-cops? Suspects! :mamoru:) for exercising our rights.

24. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Nice AV. Love teh movie (1st one only). :mamoru:

25. johan

johan Active Member

exactly... this whole story is :hs: though. The laws are bogus but its somehow refreshing to see the shafters getting a taste of what they dish.

Faces a possible 30 years in prison is :hsugh: though. Some of these statutes seem disproportionately harsh.