Polarization issue mindfuck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nobusiness, Sep 21, 2005.

1. nobusiness

nobusiness New Member

Ok...after quite some time I have hooked up subwoofers to my system which consists of a pioneer head unit, omnifi mp3 player, clarion amps (the important stuff). My problem is that I'm not getting alot of bass when im using the omnifi (aux input into deck) but im getting bass with cd player and tuner. Today i was screwing with the stereo and I noticed that when faded to either side, bass returned, but was gone when the balance was centered. I deduced that there was a polarization issue in the rca cables going to the deck (bought a knockoff ip-bus to rca connector) so i switched the + and - of one sub...but the volume did not get louder. I am stumped. My only thought is that the polarity is reversed of the source (due to connectors) and is f'ing up the signal processing of the deck. I am going to hook my ipod up to the input of the deck and see if there is bass, then I know it is an issue with the omnifi mp3 player.

until then i will keep trying things.

any help appreciated

2. nobusiness

nobusiness New Member

ok i think i've figured out my problem. I beleive the sub output is mono therefore the source unit combines the left and right inputs into one signal. With opposite polarization, the signals are cancelled by the head unit, effectively resulting in no bass signal output. when adjusting balance, only one signal is used, therefore giving me uncancelled bass of one channel. Now I just need a reverse-polarized rca interconnect for one half of my rca input cable. It does not pay to buy knock offs.