A&P Point & Shoot for Concert recomendations?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Redsand187, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

I like to go to shows quite a bit. Most of which you aren't allowed a SLR in. So it's point and shoot. I have an older 5mp canon, I don't remember the model number off hand. But anyways it could be loads better. I do this purely for fun, but want the best images feasible.

I've always had canon's so I'm used to their interface, but am open to something different.

What I want is the highest/best ISO setting. Obviously 12000 ISO is great, but if it uses major processing that take out all the detail and only works in 3mp images that is kind of lame. A good clean 1600 would be nice, anything more would be bonus.

Manual settings, AV, TV, and full manual would be nice.

5x zoom or greater.

And Compact.

I was looking at the g10. It's kind of on the top end of what I'd like to spend, and it is on the larger side. I'd imagine it would work pretty well, but I'd like to get some other ideas on what to consider as well.

2. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I bought a G10 a few months back for a gift. Its a great camera, but its not a great shot at 1600.

4. BabelJoat

BabelJoat New Member

Impossible. There is nothing out there in the market that comes close to meeting all of your requirements.
    The G10 is probably closest, but you won't be getting clean images at 1600, and the maximum aperture drops to f/4.5 when you zoom out all the way.
    Maybe you can wait for that retro micro four-thirds that looks enough like a p&s so you can fool the security guards.

5. aCab

aCab New Member

LX3 - but no good zoom

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

The new Fuji FinePix F200EXR looks interesting. Will be interested in seeing how it stacks up against the G10.

7. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

I'm not looking for perfection, but the best possible P&S for the situation. Obviously bringing an SLR would be best, but not always possible. Low light performance is the key requirement. I mean, I know it's not going to be perfectly flawless but I'd prefer something that doesn't look like it was taken with a cell phone.