Pod VS Door for components, Advantage/Disadvantage?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FindersKeepers, Aug 27, 2007.

1. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

I have a set of 6.5" Components I want to put in my doors to fill in that mid bass that I lack.. I don't have enough room to do them on the kick plates so I wanted to put them in the doors.

I took the door panels off today to investigate my room required and so on,a nd found that I have PLENTY of room even after I do the modifications to the inner door skin and door panel...

BUT, I also people bring them out and build pods for them...

is there an advantage or disadvantage of both?

What I'm working with
    Door Skin thats currently rectangle, I will make it a circle. for the basket/magnet to poke through

[​IMG]

My door panel, with the lower section is about an inch and a half thick as well.. I have about 3" of room between the outter door skin and the magnet... AND I took the picture with the window all the way down, so I know it will fit

Bottom of doors used to be plastic/Carpet but now are Wooden and Vinyl, so modifying them is no problem

CLIFFS:
    My question is, am I ok putting it in the door, or am I better off making a fiberglass pod for it?

and yes I know theres an ugly red wire back there, I was re-wiring my door opening solonoid as well (shaved handles)

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Pods would allow for aiming the drivers to achieve better imaging. You wouldn't necessarily have to build them completely out of the door panel though.

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Pods will put your soundstage lower but it allows the speakers to be on axis. If you put your tweeters in the sails it raises the soundstage but that presents its own issues. Personally I like my speakers in the door and the tweeters on the dash/sails.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My VW has components in the doors -- the woofers are down in the bottom-front corners, and the tweeters are up just below the windows. The main advantage is that it lets you have the same setup for the front and back seats, which is nice if you want your passengers to enjoy the music too. Speakers in the back window FTL.

As for pods, I've seen some people install them, but they all get in the way of your feet. If you plan to actually drive the car, keeping the speakers in the doors is a more comfortable approach.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

pods work fine when installed properly unless the foot space is cramped as is

6. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

Easiest answer, set the mids in there, listen to them, you have your answer.

IMO youll be just fine.

7. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

well I do need some spacer rings to bring it out some... I have a set a friend is making for me since i dont have the router to form the edges all nice and puuuurty like.

The magnet and basket hit the very bottom of the window, but with the spacer rings in place it'll be free and clear of anything.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

cut some holes in the bottom of the doors. fuck the pods, you'll get a nice stage without em.