GUN Pocket Gun/BUG

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gimik, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm looking for a pocket gun/backup gun. I've been looking at mostly micro 380s and 9mms, but I'm starting to think about maybe a .357 revolver.

I've been looking at the S&W revolvers and it looks like the most concealable not including weight is the 640 (2" bbl, hammerless) - I don't think any of the ultralights would be much fun to practice with. Buds has it for $458 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_72/products_id/26276) - can anyone beat that price? Any problems with the 640?

Any other suggestions? I looked at the p3at, but it looked and felt really cheap, and the pm9 has some bad stuff being said about it.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I hate to say it, but you gotta get over your p3at thing, you're not taking it to a fashion show. ;)

I have both a s&w 642 and a p3at. The p3at is far more easily concealable in jeans than the jframe. If the pockets are deep, the jframe peeks out to say hi. Its also far heavier. Neither one worked right from the factory, both companies had excellent customer service. The s&w had to be shipped back and get a new frame, the kt got a new extractor at home. You tell me which was the cheap one :) Both work great now. My p3at with a +1 can hold 8 rounds, my jframe holds 5 rounds. The jframe is more powerful even in .38spl. I won't run jhp's in either caliber. Right now I have no plans to sell either. They're both fun and they're both good at different things. I bet your .357 is going to be about 3x heaver loaded than the keltec. You feel it in the pockets.

I'd say break it down like this. If you want absolute concealability in a gun you can put in your pocket and truly forget you have on and be guaranteed to have on everyday 24/7, its the p3at. If you must have a more powerful cartridge and can accept that it won't be nearly as easy to hide or forget about, get the jframe. Eventually, get both :big grin:

3. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

4. no7fish

no7fish New Member

People are probably tired of hearing me ride the Kel-tec sac but I love my P3AT. It fits my hands better than a lot of people's though and really, if you want more knockdown than a 380 then Soybomb is right, there is stronger stuff out there. I can't beat it for concealability though. I can carry other things but i print more than i want unless I have on a really loose shirt or a jacket.

5. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

how about a S&W Model 60. 5 rounds i think it was faily thin and light.

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Right now I carry a P32 daily, due to work dress requirements. Althought I just picked up a Kahr PM9, man that thing is small. I do want to get a 442 tho, they're so light you can carry them anywhere without sagging pockets, or a limp from the ankle holster.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

How's the PM9? Have you shot it yet? Any problems? How is the size compared to the P32?

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

local place has a standard p-3at (not park.) for $249. That's actually not a bad price considering FFL + shipping.

9. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

That's what I paid for mine. Doooo eeeeet. Oh and the PM9 is twice the size of the P3AT. It's still extremely small but it's not the same.

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well I wouldn't go quite that far
    http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

Neat to note that the jframe is really quite huge compared to most of those, even the p11. The shape of it does make it a little easier to hide though.

$250's what I paid for my p3at, theres also a nice guy on the keltec forums who offers a nickle plating service for the slide for like $25

11. 2L Bunny

Haven't shot it yet, hoping to tommorow after work. Compared to anything else the PM9 is tiny, but then I get the P32 for comparison. It's really not that much bigger, just a LOT heavier. Also the pocket holster I have for it isn't optimized for my shorts/pants. Where the HBE holster for my P32 sits in the bottom of my pocket, the Alessi PM9 holster sits a little off the bottom. But I did sit it IWB to see how it'll carry, and it truely dissapears under a teeshirt, much better than my Makarov ever did.

The PM9 was purchased new by a friend who's put less than 500 rounds thru it without incident after break in. The ramp's been polished and Kahr is sending me a new recoil spring free of charge, apparently there was a running parts change. So I'll see how it shoots for me soon.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

hrmm... what about splitting the difference and going witht he P11? (Keltec 9mm)

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I don't like pocket guns that much.. the smallest I'd want to go is like Detonics CombatMaster size. :hs:

14. 2L Bunny

a PF-9 was my plan of action, but I didn't want to get an early release model with any teething problems. Then this PM9 almost showed up on my door. Once those PF-9's become available I want to take a close look at one, the thinness of the slide looks promising.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think the p11 is really pushing the edge of too big for as much concealment as I want. Plus its not drop safe. Its pretty safe, but its still a deal breaker for me. The pf9 will fix the drop safe thing and add a much better trigger, but will remain the same size except for being a little thinner at the cost of several rounds. I'd try a p11 before buying one, or at least dryfire and try to pocket it.

16. Gimik

Gimik New Member

you guys know I'm going to end up with that damn ugly ass p3at :wtc:

17. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

+1 for a wheel gun.

18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The only problem I have with my P3AT is I sometimes forget I have it on me.

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

yeah ... so I didn't get the p3at :hs:

[​IMG]

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

IBitfeelslikeabaseballbathittingmyhands

Looks sexy though!

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hows it feel? grip looks odd.

22. Gimik

Gimik New Member

feels great actually (well, for a 2 finger grip). trigger is crisp as hell. It's noticably lighter than the p3at. Yes, it is going to hurt :hs:

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You sure on the lighter? I think the keltec is lighter loaded than the 340 is empty.

24. Gimik

Gimik New Member

sure felt a lot lighter. Lemme look up the stats. 340PD is 12oz empty.

Nope. you're right. the p3at is 7.2 empty. I wonder why the 340 felt lighter.

25. Gimik

Gimik New Member

haha. great writeup on this gun: