GUN pocket carry and situational awareness

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Dec 2, 2005.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

One of the reasons I want a gun small enough to literally carry in my pocket is so that I can put my hand on it if I sense a dangerous situation and no one knows. But if you are carrying underneath your clothes or something, how can you have a such a state of high alert/readiness without actually drawing the gun? Am I missing something? Is there some way to do this?

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

What I've found from training with BUG (P32 in a pocket holster) as my primary at a defensive handgun course a while ago. It's nice to be able to grasp your pocket gun in the open, but a belt holster really is faster. Even when pulling from cover, in my case an untucked Teeshirt and a jacket. The action of coming out of the pocket is slower process.
    hth

3. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

you can "reference" your gun (can't remember exact term) e.g. place your hand near it, from that point the draw should be almost instinctive

4. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

drawing your side arm in a quick, stable, reliable, and CONSISTENT motion is much easier achieved from a belt holster of some sort, than fumbling in your pocket. There's just too many variables when drawing from your pocket (IE - fit of pants, size of pocket, pocket opening seams for gun to get stuck on, etc...) and all of these even vary with each different pair of pants that you wear. One fumble or snag up of the weapon, and it could be too late. A holster doesn't change. Draws the same every time.

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

You might also need your hands for something other than shooting someone. Not everybody in a defensive situation needs to be shot.

Having one hand in your pocket takes away a lot of options and isn't all that much faster to get a pistol into the fight.