Pneumatic Buffer

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dilligaf, Jul 3, 2004.

1. dilligaf

dilligaf -

I am thinking about going with the air powered orbital buffer Griot's sells. It looks like it would be easier to handle than the PC.

I was wondering if anyone has used it.

Thanks

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ill give my two cents on it.

Ive never actually used one on a car. However, i have worked in a cabinet shop, and a metal fabricating and machine shop when i was in highschool. Both of which used pneumatic RO's for sanding or polishing.

And personally, i dont like them. FOr one, they are not as variably controlable as an electric RO. Becuase the air pressure is constantly changing in the line. And if your useing a small air compressor, that problem only gets worse. Its probibly not that big of a deal when working on a car, but when your polishing metal, its a real pain int he ass.

FOr the money, i would prefer to have an electric unit, with constant variable speed, good torque that wont bog down, and not deal with the extra cost of a compressor, which will use more electricity then a PC will.

So, though ive never used one on a car. WHen i worked at the metal shop, i was always going for the electric tools over the air tools when it came to polishing.

3. dilligaf

dilligaf -

Thanks for the info. I like the size of it, but I like the PC b/c it has that handle on the side. The air buffer may be hard to hold onto after a while. I wish I could see it in person.

With my air tools I never really have too bad of a problem with pressure variances, I don't think this would be too different. :dunno:

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I took the handle off my PC. I find it easier to control with one hand on the head of the buffer.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i love mine mine is a rotary not a DA but be warned it takes a big compresor to keep up with it

but i would take it over an electric any day its lighter with a proper compresor it will work jsut was well as the electric and since my shop has more airlies that outlets it makes sense for me

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:werd:

Especially when your working with somthing like DACP, where you really need to control the amount of force applied to the head pad to help break down the abrasives properly. And its nice for when you have to polish around things like antennas, wing mirrors, etc.

7. dilligaf

dilligaf -

Thanks