GUN Pmag failures!!!!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guvnor, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Not the beloved Pmags. Say it isn't so!!

My year with Pmags.
    In the fall of 2007, my agency purchased 50 black pmags from Brownells for our 2007-2008 patrol rifle program. All of them arrived in short order and I found they were all post-recall manufacture. The rifle program was to involve about 400 officers, each shooting just fewer than 500 rounds during the two day class. Course of fire was simple, adhering to the lowest common shooter theory. No full auto fire, no string of fire longer that 7 rounds rapid fire (NSR). Classes consisted of 12-16 shooters, in two relays. Each shooter was given three pmags at the start of the course. Pretty straight forward stuff, load/unload/reload/stoppages etc, we did nothing that would surprise you.

By the end of the first class, 50% of the pmags were broken. All of them had split where the feed lips meet to form a V on the spine. I called Magpul and they over nighted me 50 new pmags and a prepaid return label for all 50 of the ones I had, broken or not. They asked me a bunch of questions about the who, what, when, where and how the mags had been used. This was very cool and I was pleased with the way it was handled. I was back on track and had one course of 26 in the books, 25 to go.

During the next few courses, I was constantly checking mags, and was finding a few more that were split each day. After several weeks, maybe 3-4 courses, about 50% of the pmags were broken. The split was very easy to see if the mag had more that 3-4 rounds in it, if not, just pushing my thumbs against the feed lips would cause it to show. I called Magpul back and the same overnight exchange was made and a few more questions answered about how they were being used. They told me that there had been some changes made to material flowed into the mould, the new mags should be good to go.

After about another months worth of classes, I had a pile of split mags set aside. Not 50% like before, more like 25% out of the third batch of 50 (batch #2 straight from Magpul). This time they replaced just the damaged mags, they no longer wanted the undamaged mags back. This process was repeated one more time at the end of the training cycle. After two month off from PR training, we started again with the 2008-2209 in-service cycle, which was a one day refresher course. After the first two month of training, we again had to replace about 20-25% of the pmags (just the mag bodies this time). The 08-09 cycle is still in process at this time, with the Pmags.

The split was easy to spot, either a mag split right away or not at all. I started numbering the mags and tracking them when magpul sent me the first batch overnight. We found that a split mag could still be used, up to the point that it started to double feed rounds. Once the split started, the mags would not drop free, loaded or not. Its good to know that the split is easy to spot, and they tend to split right away if they are going to.

I am not here to condemn a $15.00 product, it is what it is. I am just sharing some info that lead me to the decision, once again, that there is no magic bullet, or magazine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Hooch

Hooch New Member

PMags, when USGI mags just aren't good enough and your father owns a injection molding company.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wasn't this a problem with the earlier ones and fixed by magpul? :dunno: I have some early preban pmags :hsugh: but haven't seen much use since I sold my ar's shortly after getting them :hs:

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm not surprized. With 400 coppers I'm sure you could break anything. I would think somehow the bolt is hitting the back of the mag as it's stripping a round off. Really kind of wierd.

5. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What the hell, the places where pmags are cracking (the V shaped area) looks like it was overmolded then cut...rather poorly. Is this how all pmags look like?

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I was going to say this if you look right above each split you can see where something gouged it.

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Well, I guess if your 2 Pmags fail, you can just photoshop some more.

8. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

These things are flying out of stores the minute they get in. I hope they aren't junk.

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:rofl::rofl:

10. Crossett

Crossett New Member

i cant believe you still post here :rofl:

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:bowrofl:

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

If something seems too good to be true, it probably is

13. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Right at the abrupt change in section thickness, pretty typical stress riser... To be such a badass company (I hear) you would think they'd avoid such simple mistakes in design.

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

especially after showing that you can drive over them with an SUV

15. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

If they're yours, it's probably because you use a cracked version of Photoshop.

16. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:bowrofl:

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

HEEEEYYYYOOOO :rofl:

18. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

What brand of rifle? Something was biting the backs of those mags.

19. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

so he's got photoshop mastered, looks like he's getting down the ol copy and paste as well.

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

where was this originally posted.

has ANYONE heard of this happening before?