plz help: vid card problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2WenTy D0LLaZ, Aug 15, 2003.

1. got a VisionTek XTasy Mx 440 AGP vid card.

installed it, and it was working fine. then a few days later, everytime i went to play Half-Life, it would lock up during the middle of a game.

i installed the most up-to-date drivers, and even downloaded the windows service packs. and i still get the same problem.

anyone know howto fix this
  2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

here's a personal anecdote:

a few months ago i bought a sapphire 9500 pro. i installed it + drivers and ran some benchmark programs. on a few of the programs, and some of my games, i was getting weird texture problems. i spent about two nights doing everything i could think of to fix the problem, with no luck.

but then i decided that this wasn't worth my time. i put my old board back in and RMA'd the 9500. about a week later i got a new board and went through the same routine - but this time everything worked great the first time.

moral of the story: sometimes you get bad hardware. you probably have something faulty that's locking up under load/temp. RMA your board.
  3. oh, so you think its either a heat problem/need a new motherboard?
  4. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

i wouldn't go that far.. probably just your vid card if you weren't getting these problems with your last card...? it could be anything though :eek3:

and you don't have to go and buy another piece of hardware. you should be able to send back the vid card as an RMA and get another one.
  5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Apr 22, 2001
    I would think it's heat related as well...

I am big into o/cin my card and I can hit speeds that is fine for general use (desktop, inet, word, simple apps basically) but when I try to run heavy games that heat up the processor it locks up...from what i've gathered it's 100% related to temperature

try checking to make sure the fan is coming on, also if it's fairly new (30 day money back idea) I would advise you to trade it for another one, if not, see if you can upgrade the fan on it, OR downclock it (powerstrip is a good program for playing with settings)

good luck
  6. my vid card doesnt have a fan. i think ima return it today

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

Jan 16, 2003
    ive had terrible luck with visiontek stuff :( :( :(