PLZ help, old HD in new comp and can't get files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sugerbear, Dec 5, 2006.

1. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

Im having a promblem:

Installed an old HD in a new comp and when I click on (my documents) i can't get into any of my old files and it says "access denide" So I can't get to any of my old music/desktop stuff/and photo.

PLEASE help me

I don't know what to do.

2. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

You need to take ownership of the files and folders. First open any folder you have your desktop and go to tools > folder options > view. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck use simple file sharing. Apply and hit okay. Now browse to the stuff you are trying to get into. Right click on the folder and go to properties > security > advanced > owner. Select your login name from the list and also check the replace option at the bottom. Apply and hit okay.

Now you should have access to everything. You may have to repeat on other folders or files.

3. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

TY, worked great.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Was your old hard drive SATA or IDE? The reason I am asking is I am planning on installing an old IDE drive to my new desktop which currently uses SATA and was wondering if I could do it.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Those are hardware issues, so you shouldn't have any trouble accessing the files and folders from software.

6. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Oh I know, I was just asking for my own benefit. Can you install an IDE drive as a slave to a SATA drive? I'm just looking to use my dead desktop's hard drive as a second hard drive in my new desktop I just purchased. The new desktop's HD uses SATA, while the old uses IDE.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

SATA doesn't have master/slave. Each drive plugs directly into the motherboard. But as long as your motherboard had an IDE interface, you can run an IDE device. You just may have to make sure your BIOS knows to boot from SATA before IDE.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

That will for sure work. I just put a 10k 73gb Fujitsu scsi drive in as a backup drive that also has an os on it, in my Core 2 Duo build.

I don't think you could get much different than that, and I had all my backup stuff dragged and dropped in it in short order.

Like mdaniel said, I just had to make sure my boot order was correct in the bios.

(I could also do that with the adaptec utilities at boot)

9. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

I just relized this but my DVD/cd drive is down now.

When i reset the restore point, it goes back to working but as soon as i unlock that folder it doesn't work.

I try'ed uninstalling and reinstalling the hardwear but it got me no where. any help?