plz help - issues with vid card (i think)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by weazl, Sep 9, 2005.

1. weazl

weazl New Member

after about 20 to 40 min (sometime less than 5 min) of playing games such as CS:S or BF2 my comp either freezes, reboots, or if i'm lucky, just quits the program and drops me back to the desktop. I'm running winxp on 3gHz P4 with a radeon 6800 xt and a gig of ram. i've reinstalled the drivers and it's still happening. any suggestions would be really helpfull.

2. Pro_fan

Pro_fan New Member

overheating? how's your case cooling?

3. weazl

weazl New Member

4 fans: 1 top, 1 side, 2 rear 9600xt also has a fan&heat sink built in

4. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

WHOA! 9600XT?! HELLO!

Sounds like you've got "Via Chipset Crabs."

Go into your BIOS, and lower your AGP speed to 4X. You will not lose a drop of performance, we haven't even saturated the 8X bus yet. Reboot. Play games. Kick ass.

The 9600XT only accepts 0.8v input in 8X mode, but the Via KT400 based boards give it a whopping 1.5v! By switching to 4X mode, which at spec runs at 1.5v, the card is not overvolted and runs stable as a bitch.

If that fails, replace the power supply. Sure. The 9550/9600 chipsets don't need external power - but they need clean, pristine, 12v rails. A generic PSU just won't do.

To avoid this problem Gigabyte sold their 9600 lines with different voltage regulators - and charged $20 more. Most people replaced their older boards with SiS or nV chipsets boards to run a 9600 card when they launched.