GUN Plinking .223 options

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jul 14, 2007.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

So in reading around on AR15.com and a handful of other places, it seems as though for what I'm looking for I'm just as well off buying a whole gun as opposed to building one. I'm not hunting anything and really only intend on having it as part of a collection as well as target shooting. Would I be best off just getting something like an RRA Varminet or something with a longer barrel at least?

I like the semi-auto rifle idea, but I suppose for distance target shooting I could go with a bolt action of some sort too... Never really considered that. Time to buy two guns I guess.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I like the way you think.

If you end up with both, get a 16'' AR and then get a bolt gun for longer distance.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

why not just get one gun and another upper?

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

That's actually a really good point. Even so, would I still be okay getting something from RRA? I mean I know you can buy a totally different style upper to serve dual purposes, but are the lower all close enough to being the same that I don't have to worry about it? I'm not stuck on RRA...just looking to spend ~$900 - $1,000 if I"m buying a whole gun. Plus another upper I guess.

5. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

RRA will be fine.

6. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

make sure its a 24" varmit, I got a 16" varmit and it was stupid.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you can buy a 16" built rifle from RRA, then buy a 20 or 24" upper from whoever you want. just put optics and bipod on the long range one.

twofer :coold:

8. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i dont think plinking and .223 belong in the same sentence right now... not with ammo prices. now .22lr and plinking, those are synonymous.

9. auto

auto New Member

It depends on how many rounds you run through at the range though really, its different for everyone. When I go I expect to burn through half a case but some people go and put 100 rounds down range and are happy.

10. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm not so concerned with cost as I am with satisfaction with the whole thing. If I'm spending a grand on a gun, I don't mind spending money on ammo to shoot at a distance I feel like I've achieved something. Not that .22LR can't be shot accuratly at distances...just not distances to make me feel like I've done something I guess. I'd like to be able to easily shoot accuratly at 100 yards plus. My understanding is that with a .22LR you really need to modify it to be able to accuratly do 100 yards and anything past that is a crap shoot with the drop on it.

I probably won't get out to shoot too often with this gun. I'm looking for a once a month (maybe) type thing to have some fun with, but I'd like to get out to +200 yards.