GUN please school me on gunshows..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Matt2000ss, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I may go to my 1st gunshow this weekend and was wondering what to expect in terms of quality and prices.

Can just anyone setup a booth and sell there shit or is there some kind of quality control? Are there really good deals to be found? I'm getting a fat tax return and may want to pick something up. Thanks for any advice.

2. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

no good deals, except maybe magazines and ammo.

but i wouldn't trust the latter.

maybe you could find a steal from a private seller. but going to a gun show to buy a gun is just like going to a bar to buy a 6 pack

3. Bloody Sunday

:werd:

if you have an iphone or something where you can do a quick google search, that thing will be worth its weight in gold.

4. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Overpriced. At least 60% of the tables will be filled with useless bullshit like flea market knives, beef jerky and other garbage. Lots of 400 pound bubbas walking around in their cammo thinking they are johnny bad ass talking about how they used to be Secret Service protecting the President.

Seriously, don't even waste your time. I haven't been to a gun show in years that has been worth a fuck. If there is something you are interested in you are better off finding a good local shop or FFL.

5. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

yea mostly everything is overpriced "shit" ie like clothes knives and non lethal shit (usually low quality) are a joke imo although the prices of guns ammo and mags are high cause people are willing to pay the price at the time cause of the atmosphere...but sometimes you can find a deal i got a decent price on the glock i bought at one compaired to all the other sellers from the area (i did my homework before hand)... but its a good way to get a feel for what kind of gun your looking for cause you can handle tons of different ones in a day, if you can find a steal on one you have had your mind on go for it like I did or just keep track of the local dealers there that aren't dicks and go check out their shop later in the week where they'll pay more attention to you and are willing to deal with you better at their shop, and definitely do some research:bigthumb:

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Dude :werd: I saw that as well :o

I want a P6 but not for that price

7. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Here's how you handle gun shows. first, you must understand that you MUST haggle. The deals areon USED guns. Go the first day and find what you want.

Go back 20 minutes before closing on the second day, and start making offers. Taking that gun along with the 100 others the dealer has back home, doesn't seem so attractive when you are standing there with a fist full of money. That' show I buy mine, and have yet to pay their asking price and in some cases made some STELLAR buys.

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Best gunshow advice ever.

Before the internet, you could usually find good stuff and even great deals sometimes. Nowdays, it's just jerky, junk, and what little isn't junk is 50% overpriced.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

My first and only time there was a bad experience.

They wouldn't give me the time of day when I went in.

10. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I go to gun shows for the walkarounds, not for dealers.

11. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

Thats about what i figured i should expect. Thanks for all the input . I'll probably still go but just to get a chance to see and hold some of the guns I've been considering.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

This. Not everyone is on the internet, and these people still like to go somewhere to deal in guns and hear the latest "news".

13. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

Shopping online is often easier but its also fun just to look around at one.

14. rawr

rawr Trick Or Treat OT Supporter

big town? i was planning on going this weekend too :o

15. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

:bowdown:

Good analogy!

16. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

samsung blackjack, first gen ftw

17. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I go to the shows for random shit, tactical gear, 20rd pmags before anyone had them in stock, etc. I did get a reasonable price on privi match from a dealer going out of business.

I've always wondered if it was possible to build a super cheap AR from random surplus parts at a gun show. If you haggled over every spring, grip, etc. from used stuff people have sitting around in boxes.

18. Bloody Sunday

thanks guys.

i came up with other analogies in an attempt to be funnier, but i said fuck it and used the bar one :rofl:

19. cent

cent New Member

i'm mainly interested in C&R weapons, and when I go to the gun shows here, 99% of it is hunting stuff, lever action rifles, revolvers, busted ass old shotguns, etc. nothing that interests me. the mosin nagants that are there are $140 each and I can get them online for $70-80 plus shipping :mamoru:

20. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I like going to gun shows because I get to hold all the guns. We don't have any ranges locally that rent, so its my only chance to see what everything feels like.

21. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

When I am in a place that does not have a range where you can rent guns, a gun show is the closest you can get, so you can feel the gun (balance fit ect) before buying it and having it sent to an FFL.

I will never buy anything at a gun show that I haven't already done my homework on and know what the going price is for that gun.

If you want to get them to pay attention to you, I have found taking notes works. I'll go around with a pad of paper looking at models and recording the ones I like and that feel good and what they are asking for them. It gets a little annoying when they keep talking to you while you browse, but hey if that is what you want boy will taking notes and comparing them to the other dealers will get their attention in a heartbeat.

22. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

The few I've been to will have the occasional seller that has something for the going rate. Its just fun to go and look around.