Please recommend me the best sounding headphones for my laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nur23, Aug 16, 2008.

1. nur23

nur23 OT Supporter

Please recommend the best sounding headphones for my laptop

I'm heading for college soon and want headphones that produce a sound reminiscent of my home speakers. With that said, which headphones deliver unrivaled natural sound, bass, and the like relative to its competitors. I can't purchase anything too capable for my laptop, as i don't plan on buying the amps or whatever to utilize its full potential. I just want the perfect headphones for a laptop user who isn't necessarily an audiophile, but wants the a great listening experience when playing music.

As you can see, amazingly impressive headphones such as the senheisser HD650 are both out of my radar, and league.

Soundcard: IDT high definition audio codec

To facilitate my own research, can someone also explain the significance of getting the right headphone "ohms" for the device at which you plan to use your headphones? I hear that for laptops in particular, headphones having 32 ohms or less are ideal for the very same reason mentioned in the beginning(too powerful for my set up?).

Is it also true that BOSE noice reduction headphones are overrated and crap in comparison to their competitors(in terms of sound quality)? I hear that such technologies sacrifice sound quality so i may take them out of consideration. I'm stricly going for headphones that sound really good.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

Sound is subjective so I'd just suggest that you go to yourlocal Guitar Center and listen to as many as possible and see which one's you like the best.

3. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I had a pair of Koss Portapros that ran pretty well off a portable cd player. Good bass response on rock and electronic music and reasonably priced. The downside to them in my situation (office cubicle) is they are "open" headphones. Essentially this means the headphone sits on the ear but does not seal around it. They sound great but at mid-high volumes people around you will be able to hear them. Not a big deal on a subway car or at home by yourself but the guy across the table from you at the library probably won't be amused after a while.

As I understand it, lower impedance headphones use low power sources more efficiently than higher impedance headphones (impedance measured in ohms). Another rating to look at is sensitivity. Headphones with higher sensitivity will play louder with the same amount of power than headphones with a lower sensitivity rating. I've got a pair of Etymotic ER6i's that are in-ear monitors rated at 16 ohms. They sound great if not a little light on bass. I don't find them all that comfortable but others like them. I do use them when I travel as they block all outside sound, are extremely compact and match very well to the limited power available from portable sources.

Unless you are using the headphones in a particulary noisy environment, noise cancelling headphones are probably not necessary. If you are looking to isolate outside noise a set of closed (meaning the entire ear is covered by the headphone) or in-ear monitors both work very well.

Headphone sound varies widely between different brands and models. One that sounds great to one listener may sound thin to another. It depends on what your tastes are, what kind of music you listen to, how loud you normally listen, and so on.

4. dan7532

dan7532 New Member

+1