A&P Please rate my computer build

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Mar 2, 2010.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Also purchasing 2 1TB Samsung F3 drives. let me know what you guys think.

i really need to buy this today so if any changes are to be made, please let me know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

Looks great, only thing I might consider is another 2GB of ram.

3. turbodude

14GB of ram? I thought 12GB was a bit much. But im trying to be prepared for cs5.

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

cant see pic

i would recommend WD drives.

5. turbodude

Why when the Samsungs use 500GB platters and are tested to be faster and use newer technology. And are cheaper? I have some WD blacks and some greens, but after reading some tests and some intense reviews of both and comparisons, i think teh F3s win this one.

6. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

do you have a backup situation?

If youre going to have 2tb storage and the ssd, i would recommend a 2bay external box and 2x 1.5tb drives (i use 5900rpm seagates striped together, doesnt need to be fast because its a backup)

The total cost is ~300 bucks and totally worth it.

Warranties and speed are great and all but when you warranty a drive your data is still lost.

Box
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=rosewill_external-_-17-182-144-_-Product

Drives
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148412&cm_re=1.5tb-_-22-148-412-_-Product

(the box can't natively recognize 2 1.5tb drives, i use OS X to raid them.)

Otherwise it looks good to me :dunno: I personally hate WD drives. The warranty is great, and the RMA process is seamless. I know this because I've used it.... more than once... On the other hand, I have never used Seagate's.

7. turbodude

I will be using my old box as a file server backup solution. :) and then also trying to find an online solution as well

8. quid

word :h5:

9. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

Oops, didn't see the 2 beside it

10. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

:ugh: with an i7 setup, ram is triple channel. you have to put it in in groups of 3, so he couldn't add 2gb of ram to the setup if he wanted. not to mention, that motherboard only has 6 slots and he's going to fill them all.

12gb should be more than enough ram. even with cs4 and lightroom running, firefox with at least a half a dozen tabs, and watching a 720p mkv file i have yet to run into a situation where i've had noticeable slowdowns with the 4gb i have in my current box. like i said in the pm, just let me know if you need me to help pick something up for you. :cool:

the only thing i'm not a fan of in your build is the cooler. personally, i don't really care for coolermaster cpu hs/fan's, but unless your overclocking it won't really matter anyways. hell, you could even stick with the stock one, since that case will have enough airflow you won't need a huge hs/fan combo.

edit - personally, i would also go with an ati video card. the newest gen of ati cards is kicking nvidia's ass all over the place and no answer from nvidia is in sight.

11. quid

For the storage box i use FreeNAS. It was easy to setup, works great and is stupid fast.

Theres a dude on here with FAR more knowledge on the subject, but from someone with limited linux experience, as a nearly plug and play solution FreeNAS works great.

12. turbodude

im planning on overclocking a little bit prob to 3.5-4.0 depending on temp. What cooler do you suggest? Im only ever used Zalman coolers, but i heard good things about the v8. I really appreciate the offer, but i figured its just easier buying all from one place. And wouldnt want to hassle anyone. But you are my homie for even wanting to do that :) :bowdown:

13. tetsuo

that cooler actually has better reviews than any of the previous ones i've seen. my issue wasn't with the actual cooler, it was with the coolermaster fans. they are noisy and don't last, but as long as you keep an eye on it and replace the fan in it with a better one if/when it dies. i actually have a coolermaster case, and after replacing the fans in it with quieter ones, i really like the case.

i would probably go with this cooler though
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

14. turbodude

this one seems a bit difficult to put on. its cheaper i would love to go with it, especially because of the dark knight fan, but im afraid i would put the artic 5 on wrong or something due to teh surface not being smooth.

15. pantheR

pantheR New Member

uhhhh, then you're not using cs4/lr/etc. to their full capacity. 4GB of memory is definitely a bottleneck.

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

how much faster? is it a noticeable change? cuz unless it's night/day diff, i wouldn't trust samsung drives

17. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

12 gig of ram, wtf :rofl:
    You won't notice any difference between 4 or 8 and you have 12 :rofl:

18. tetsuo

probably not, but photography is a hobby for me, IT is my profession. you'd be surprised at how many notepad++ files and putty connections you can have open on a 1gb of ram xp box and still not feel bogged down. :rofl:

19. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

hmmm

so the samsung drives are decently fast and quieter. they do edge the blacks by a decent margin

but you're trading speed for reliability and warranty. keep that in mind

20. turbodude

ummm yes i do. I notice it when i used my laptop (8GB ram), running Lightroom and PS at the same time while editing RAW files. It hurts, when you use lots of layers. I dont believe in destructive editing so when editing a portrait or something along those lines i am easily at 1-2gb per file.

21. turbodude

where is the proof about reliability?

the warranty i can say 3 years to 5 years, aint that bad for a performance gain. And cheaper, also i will have tons of backup solutions so i am not really worried about that too much.

22. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

Oh well I guess it's a good thing for people with 8 hands who likes to multi task.

23. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos New Member

I'd make sure to get those samsung drives setup in a RAID array.

And personally that case makes me want to barf :mamoru: But to each his own :dunno:

Other than that I'm jealous of your i7 :fawk:

24. quid

I don't believe your assertion that WD drives are reliable. The ONLY drives i've had issues with were WD. You are right though, the warranty service is great.

25. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

reliability is always personal experience. gone through hundreds of WD drives at home and work. very low failure rate. seagates, hitachi, samsung, toshiba = :ugh: