Please insert "Installation CD4" - WTF?- Mandrake10 install

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shohan, Apr 11, 2004.

1. shohan

shohan New Member

Ok, so I'm bored. I thought, "Hey, I'll download Mandrake 10 and install it!" Well, after a pain in butt finding the ISOs and actually finishing the downloads, I burned them to CD and started the installation. Change to CD2, ok! Change to CD4, WTF? Now I can't find CD4. Anyone else run into this?

2. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

From what I understand disk 4 is a special release for people who pay for Mandrake. You should be able to cancle out of the install there and be fine.

3. shohan

shohan New Member

Cool. I guess I'll try that later. I got anxious and just installed LindowsOS 4.5. Like I said I was board, and I've downloaded a bunch of flavors; Mandrake10, Red Hat 9.2, Fedora Project, Gentoo, Sorcerer and Lindows. I have Debian downloading right now. 7 CDs are going to take forever. By chance doesn anyone have links to Slackware and SUSE? I wasn't able to find any FTP archives that had them. :dunno:

4. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

5. shohan

shohan New Member

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

"Also, the 10.0 installer will ask for disk 4. The fourth disk is a bonus disk for club members and contributors to the distribution. It is not required to complete the installation, and you can safely hit Cancel when it asks for disk 4." - LinuxIso.org

You can find 20 or so distros including both Suse and Slackware at:
    ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/

7. shohan

shohan New Member

Thanks for the quote from LinuxIso.org! I'll check Ibiblio again. Last time I got fed up going through all the darn folders and I still didn't find any ISOs.

Edit: No luck with Ibiblio as far as ISOs....You don't have to copy the folder and then just burn that would you?

8. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I don't play with either of the two distros your asking about but my guess is they are setup for NFS installs. If you have decent bandwidth download the boot disk and do a network install. Keeps you from getting stuff you do not need.

But you appear to be a noob to Linux and if so I would suggest just picking one distro and stick with until your more comfortable. Keep switching distos and will take much longer to figure out what your doing...

9. shohan

shohan New Member

:squint: Ummm.....Not really. Novice or amateur definately not expert, but not a noob. I used to recompile my Red Hat 7.2 (Or was it 8, :dunno:) for NTFS support on my Win2K dual boot.

Like I said I'm just bored and checking out the other flavors. I probably like Mandrake the best due to the overall compatibility and user friendliness, but I have heard good things about the new Red Hat. :bigthumb: