SRS Please Help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Apostle777, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Apostle777

Apostle777 Outlawed in the USA

Hello All, Sorry if this is a long one, it is a tough decision for me...

So I am a senior in high school, about to graduate, and have to decide between two schools, but the problem is that they are both out of state and no matter which one I choose, i will be ruining or distancing a relationship. Because I do not want academics to get in the way of help, I will just say school A, which is 3 hours away, and school B, which is about 1 1/2 hours away (yes I know it sounds juvenile but just bare with me). School A is cheaper, a house my parents have bought, and I would get into he Greek system easily, and I would get into a suite the first year as I have good grades. School B has a better engineering school, smaller as I am not a huge party-er, is closer to home, and has more people like me.

Like most people I have a lot of close friends, but I do have 2 "true" best friends, and a very close girlfriend whom I consider to be a best friend as well. My best friend is going to school A, which is about 3 hours away from home, my other best friend is probably staying close to home so I won't mention him as much. My girlfriend is going in state, about an hour away from school B, but her school is about 4 hours away from school A. The school she is going to is not even a choice for me at this point, as I am not interested in it.

I love them both very much, of course in a different way for the guy ( I am a straight male). And if I had my way I could have them both in my life for as long as I lived. But life is such, and I have to make a decision soon. Both of them know the real me, and I do not have to be fake to either of them, and they both love me as well. I can tell them anything, and have been through so much with both of them. I would miss either one terribly, and it breaks my heart that I will have to one day say goodbye to either one.

For anyone curious for the factor, I have been dating the girl for almost 2 years, been best friends with the guy for about 3-4 years.

So please help me, thank you for anything you can provide.

For the record, I know I should not change my future for a person, but either way I am going to a great school, and my future would be the same either way, as I know where I am going for Grad school almost for sure.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. 7960

7960 New Member

1. don't make the decision based on the g/f. She'll be out of the picture before the end of your first year.

2. don't make the decision based on your best friend. he'll still be your best friend even if you don't go to the same schools.

3. pick the school based on (a) reputation and (b) cost.

3. Apostle777

Only problem is that money will be about the same after scholarships, and both reps are great. That is why it is a hard decision for me.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

Before I picked my school I went and walked around campus (alone) and sat on a bench for a while. I did that at 7 colleges. At one place people said hi and someone even asked if I needed anything. That's when I knew I was at the right place.

My point: pick it based on YOU. Not on your g/f or best friend or family.

5. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Could not agree more with this post ^.

1.) most High School relationships do not last through college. Out of ALL my friends, I have seen only 2 make it and they were 2 that you would have expected to fail and the ones you expected to make it, well... not so much.

2.) I could not agree more, my Best Friends from High School are still my best friends. We hangout during breaks, visit each others colleges, and talk on the phone a couple times a month to catch up. I am a college senior and I have been 8 hours away from my best friends for 4 years. Yet, we are still going strong.

3.) I would add to that list, do you like the atmosphere of the campus and students. That is one thing I wish I paid more attention to rather than just cost and reputation.

6. Drifter87

dot!

I wish I did this.... at my college kids will walk past someone who has slipped on ice and took a nasty spill. I go to my friends colleges and everyone is very friendly, says hello, will have random conversations while you wait in line to get food, etc...

7. Apostle777

Again, been to both, love both. People are super friendly at both schools, and I would be in heaven at both schools, honestly. I am not making my decision based solely on my gf or my best friend, that would be down right ignorant. These are the last two small factors I am yet to decide on. Money is fine, poeple are fine, school is fine, both schools I would be beyond happy at, it's technically not a bad "choice". i just don't wana lose either relationship, as they both mean a lot to me. This is more of a vent, not deciding based on a person.

8. Drifter87

Flip a coin and if you find yourself saying "2 out of 3", then you know your decision.

9. Apostle777

Lol, I like that one, and I hear that a lot. It is just a hard decision.

10. Drifter87

It is a hard decision. It took me forever to pick between my two colleges. I finally settled on mine because of first of reputation and secondly the price was right.

11. Apostle777

Both schools are out of state so same cost, and greatly renowned public colleges. School A would just be a safer choice, but school B is more for my major.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

overwhelmingly odd say you wont' lose your best friend no matter what and you're going to lose your girlfriend no matter what.

:bowdown: nice!

13. 7960

7960 New Member

Then B it is.

14. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

go for B if you really want to stick to that major. i went to college and changed my major after the first semester. Also, maybe you should consider which of the two would be great still if you do change majors.

15. seismic

seismic New Member

A good portion of people probably won't want to do the same major they wanted to do in high school, too, so don't limit the school just because it may not have as good of a program in one area.

Like many others have mentioned, odds are you and your girlfriend won't stay together. You're going to change a lot over the next few years.