Please HELP WITH HD Enclosure

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by I'm a Slacker, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

My HD went bad a few weeks ago and HP shipped me a new one. Before I send this old one back I'd like to see if I can save a few things but these inclosures come with zero instructions.

So far I've gotten to the admin tools---->Comp management------>disk Management I see the (E: which is my old HD but what do I do from here to try and recover stuff from the old HD

Do I have to format??

2. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

Ok when I tried to open the E: drive it says it not formatted. Does this mean everything is gone? To be safe a also reformatted the drive I'm sending back.

If I smash it they will charge me for the new HD thatwas shipped to me under warranty. Why shouldn't I send it back untouched. it was only 2 months old

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Because then HP will have all your data, which is something most of us would like to avoid. If you don't care, then send it back to them untouched. If you do care, figure out a way to format/corrupt the drive before you send it back (large magnets?).

4. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

I did re format while the drive was in the enclosure....it was empty I save one sample pic on the drive and the fucker still worked but I wasn't able to save any of my old shit. All I had on the old HD were a bunch of DVDs and mp3 files I never burned.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you should have used a data recovery program...you might still be able to, i'm not really familiar with them though
    try http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

6. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

thanks for the replies guys.....I gave up on it.