Please help with a slow DSL connection!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Esby, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Esby

Esby New Member

I have SBC Yahoo DSL wireless internet service. My download speeds are typically in the range of 20kbs. If I run a bandwidth test, my download ranges from 160 to 190 and my upload is usually around 60. Browsing is fine and web pages load quickly, but the download speed is really slow... Tech support will not give me a straight answer as to whether this is normal for a download speed. They just keep telling me that the 160 and 60 is where I am supposed to be. My first question is whether this is actually normal - because it seems very slow. And my second question is whether anyone knows how to speed it up. Please help!

Also, when I use file sharing software I download at about 2kbs... Why is this so slow?

2. Esby

Esby New Member

That makes sense. It still seems really, really slow though.

3. ziggie216

ziggie216 New Member

your speed of your dsl is determin by the distance from your location to the central office.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Cable >>>>> DSL

Keep in mind like Sgt. Baker said in advertising a company will show measurement in Kbps while your computer will display download speed as KBps.

The difference is that a Kbps is a kilobit while KBps is a kilobyte. There are 8 bits in every byte so if your download rate is 160kbps / 8 = 20KBps.

Cable on the other hand offers transfers of 1.5Mbps which is obviously a great deal faster. (200-300KBps) :yum:

I should note that it all depends on the provider - in my area our cable options tear the hell out of DSL.

5. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

do all you phones on the same circuit have filters on them? how far away are you from the central office? how many people are on your network? what is your config? ie Modem to Computer.. DSL and cable is not a dedicated transport, no one can guaranteee speeds. But i agree it should be faster then 20k/sec

if you could also run ping tests to yahoo and see what the response time is

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'd say hes right on par with where he should be. If SBC is telling him he should have 160 nd he's getting 20 that is exactly where he should be. Heck - we have a T1 at work and we only get 20KB/s - but that is where we should be. What we really pay the extra hundred for is the stability of T1 - DSL is similiar in that respect when compared to cable.

It sucks and I complain just as much as the next guy - maybe even more for having sub 30KB/s speeds on T1 and DSL while at home I'm hitting 300KB/s with my cable.

If you want high speed then go with cable - we have 10+ stores with DSL/Cable combinations and I'll tell you that Cable *always* blows DSL away but it does vary depending on provider, location, and service.

7. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i hope you are not the IT person for where you work.... especially when a T would be dedicated service

8. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I'm not the *lead* IT person but I have a lot of say in things. Our T is so slow because we have over half of it's bandwidth subbed out for point-to-point connections. Once we get all our stores to DSL/Cable we can keep it all for ourselves. :big grin: Right now we are locked into contract (before my time) - otherwise I'd have that thing changed over right now.

Our T1 is rated at 198kbps after the subbing - do the math.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  9. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

oh got you... you made it seem like you were only getting 30k out of a T1.....

10. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Well - my actual download speeds are <30KB but we are really taxing it, 20+ in-house computers and 10 ptp 128k connections.

It's only a 198k connection while newer T1's are offering 1.5Mb for the same price. Like I said - we're stuck...whenever I want to download something big I wait till I get home. :hs:

11. Brian

Brian New Member

my cox highspeed just bumped all our speeds
    to 4Mbps down and 512Kbps and its 40 bucks a month

12. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That is nice!