Please Help - TV Capture Card Installation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Class_Act, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Class_Act

Class_Act Guest

So I got my tv capture card today, got it installed, and everything is working fine except the sound.

I'm sure it's an installation error. As far as I can tell my motherboard has integrated sound. Where I assume the sound connector wire is suppose to attach from the capture card there are two slots that will accept the connector.

One black one that is currently being used and is attached to my CD-Rom drive and one white one that isn't being used. I put the connector into the white one.

I'm quite sure that's where my problem is - but here is what I don't know - there is no where else to plug the connector in.

Anyway - I unplugged the CD-Rom from the black connection and connected the capture card to it and now the sound works fine.

But what do I do with the one from the CD-Rom? Again, is there such a thing as a splitter for this stuff? Or is there something else I should do?

I've got the plain jane CD-Rom drive and a DVD-RW drive. Yet the DVD-RW drive doesn't connect to the sound board (at least not in the way that the CD-Rom drive does) and you can still hear sound from the drive.
    Wonder what gives? :wtf:

2. Class_Act

Class_Act Guest

Actually, even with that wire unplugged, audio from the CD-Rom still works.

And so does the audio from the capture card. So I guess I'll leave it alone until I figure out what I just unplugged from my computer.

Hopefully it'll meltdown in the meantime. :puke:

Anyone with any idea feel free to enlighten me.

3. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

The CD-ROM should need no more connections than just the IDE and power supply cables. The third one you're probably talking about is for if you plug in headphones to the front of the CD-ROM to allow you to adjust the volume from the dial on the front.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Class_Act

Class_Act Guest

I believe you are right.

What has me curious though is that now that I've connected the capture card to what used to be the headphone jack why is the audio working now?

Should I have used some other way to get the audio?

5. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

I have no idea, I have a PCI sound card, so it's different for me. For me, my capture card (ATi 9600 AIW) connects to the blue port on my sound card.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

do it this way.